Nomad 3-Inch Lightning Cable Now Available for Preorder, Shipping in June

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 18, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Nomad Lightning Cable, a 3-inch Lightning to USB cable, was a spectacular success when it hit Kickstarter back in November and now it is available for preorder for $24.99. Orders placed now are expected to be shipped in June.
    [​IMG]
    The team behind the Nomad worked directly with Apple, which means this is a fully Apple-certified Lightning accessory. The USB side of the Nomad locks into a keychain adapter, which makes it convenient to carry in a pocket alongside a set of keys.

Article Link: Nomad 3-Inch Lightning Cable Now Available for Preorder, Shipping in June

2. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Nice. I had a similar one for the dock connector. Very handy to keep in the back pack.

for $25 I may hold off for a bit though.

3. KylePowers, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I would like to do this with the HDMI (Digital AV) adapter. Please provide investment capital. PM for paypal address ;)

But really.. a mobile HDMI adapter of this size would be awesome

EDIT: Didn't even notice the $25 price. I could just cut and splice an official (or knock-off) cable for much cheaper.

4. macrumors 6502

Wouldn't a naked iPhone get scratched up by the keys? No thank you.

Portable HDMI? YES PLEASE!

5. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

You obviously can't charge a phone by keys so why would you have your iPhone connected to it????? The key ring is just carry it around.

6. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

$25? Are they on crack? $4 cable off ebay. Keep wrapped up in wallet/car/briefcase/etc. Done.

7. macrumors member

They have some nerve asking €19 for this.

8. macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

3 inch only this would be better if it was retractable

9. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No... Because you unplug the adaptor from the keys when you want to use it to charge your iPhone ;)

10. macrumors 6502a

25 dollars, my as well buy the one made by apple

11. macrumors regular

Did I miss something? Is this a Monster cable? By this logic a 3 footer would be $300!!!

12. macrumors member

No because the iPhone has Gorilla Glass. I have my keys in my pocket with the phone all the time and never a scratch.

You can see some real world tests by going to YouTube and searching for "scratch test gorilla glass.'

13. macrumors 6502

Everyone, please don't tell me that the concept of portability is completely lost on you...

Yes, it's $25. Yes, that's $25 for a very short cable. It's the same reason you pay several hundred dollars for a cell phone that isn't nearly as powerful as a laptop you could buy for about the same amount of money. Because it's portable. It's comfortable to have in your pocket whenever you need it. You're going to pay more for that convenience.

14. macrumors member

Dor Levy

The difference is that short cable means less material used. When you are talking about hardware in general, its harder to make things smaller.

15. macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they spent millions of dollars on r&d to come up with a shorter cable. I think $9.99 would be a fair price.

16. macrumors member

Dude Chinese suppliers have been selling these for $4 lol

(Yes, I've tried them & didn't have a problem with them SO FAR)
    :)

17. macrumors newbie

The wire is the least expensive component in the cable. The two connectors and the IC are the bulk of the cost.

18. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Eh, guess I'm not in need of this, but can someone please come up with a Male Lightning to Female Lightning extended length cable that support all pins. I want to extend the lightning side of my HDMI Digital AV Adapter and the ONLY place I can find a cable is on eBay from Hong Kong. Come on Apple, either you do it or allow someone to do it.

I have Pioneer Navi unit and the only way to use Advanced App Mode with iPhone 5 is the HDMI Digital AV Adapter.

19. macrumors 68030

needfx

great! got the cable, time to order the phone.. or not..

20. macrumors 65816

Toltepeceno

Uh, and the aluminum? I'm guessing that's what was being referred to.

21. macrumors 68020

AbSoluTc

I don't get it? :confused:

22. macrumors 601

ftaok

OK. I'll bite. Why do you need to extend the adapter on the lightning side. Why not get a longer HDMI cable?

23. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

Thunderbolt version pleaaaaaase?

Don't care that its not faster, I'd just like to charge my iDevice without it hogging one of the precious few USB ports on the MBP.

24. macrumors 68040

Bubba Satori

They know they won't sell many at even half that price, so they
    figure they might as well bend over the few Waldos who have to
    have it no matter what it costs. Low volume, high margin, low hanging fruit.
    Nice racket.

25. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

3 inch? Is that practical? The only thing that is unique about this versus some generic knock-off or even the official Apple cable is the USB cap that attaches to a key ring. But I can buy a cap like that for $1 on eBay. Maybe it won't look as nice but seriously...