Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claused

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Conngrats with your new band. Color looks quite vivid

check here https://superphen.co/2016/01/30/rev...assic-buckle-15-us-itunes-gift-card-giveaway/ to read on a Classic Buckle knock off. Yet this is about the gen. 2 CB which did not have any stitching yet. Gen. 3 does https://superphen.co/2016/10/02/comparing-the-three-generations-of-apples-classic-buckle-watch-band/

also a great blog on bands :)

Yeah I saw the links you mention. Hunting for a V3.

I do want the V3 with the stitching. It adds more character/definition to it! The only thing I can't accept it the price... =S

Congrats on your purchase on all the bands! :)

Last edited:

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Yeah I saw the links you mention. Hunting for a V3.

I do want the V3 with the stitching. It adds more character/definition to it! The only thing I can't accept it the price... =S

Congrats on your purchase on all the bands! :)
On The stitching: as you can see in the comparison it makes a huge difference but at the end it all is a matter of taste.

littleasian36

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
edit - retracting my first post. lugs/buckle are made of steel upon further investigation, but for some reason they dont feel like it (maybe due to coating?). anyways now knowing this i might keep it a little longer and see...

Last edited:

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
just received my nomad band. quick impressions: leather is nice, but the buckle/lugs are cheap feeling and are DEFINITELY plastic. really sad about this because actually made quite nicely. will be returning it and looking for other bands now.

please do post some photos of the parts :)

Last edited:

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
just received my nomad band. quick impressions: leather is nice, but the buckle/lugs are cheap feeling and are DEFINITELY plastic. really sad about this because its actually made quite nicely. will be returning it and looking for other bands now.

One of the newer versions?

Doesn't it say stainless lugs/buckle?

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
The site says:

"Horween leather and custom molded 316 stainless steel buckle and lugs, crafted into an exceptional watch band for Apple Watch."

littleasian36

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
oops have to retract my original post. after further investigation the buckle/lugs are indeed made from steel, however i'm not sure if its the coating or not but it doesn't feel like it. either way sorry for misleading everyone

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
oops have to retract my original post. after further investigation the buckle/lugs are indeed made from steel, however i'm not sure if its the coating or not but it doesn't feel like it. either way sorry for misleading everyone
Never mind but please post some photos :)

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I was at Best Buy, and they stock both Nomad and Clockwork Synergy straps in store.

Nomad's packaging is designed for easy inspection; the buckles on the older "Italian leather" straps are metal.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
I was at Best Buy, and they stock both Nomad and Clockwork Synergy straps in store.

Nomad's packaging is designed for easy inspection; the buckles on the older "Italian leather" straps are metal.
They have this gen 1 in all 3 colors in their outlet for sale. I had the tan but with that my AW became a Panerai ;)

Now with he Gen 2 Horween learher band in either modern or tradional, I love to see the traditional stitching with the modern buckke :)

claused

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Hey guys, just want to update you on my purchase. Decided to take the plunge on the modern nomad strap and their iphone leather case as well.

Below is the link to the pictures. Hopefully it is clear enough for you guys that are wondering about it.

http://imgur.com/a/Hruui

First 15 minutes impression - I like the leather quality, there is the smell of the leather to it.

For stiffness, I tried the apple classic buckle in the apple store and the scale being 0 for very stiff and 10 being very soft. Apple classic buckle I would put it at 10/10 and Nomad at say 7/10. I do expect the strap will become softer in the next week / couple of weeks as it mold to my hand.

The thickness of the strap, it is slightly thicker than apple classic buckle I believe but I do kind of like the thickness.

The buckle / lug itself is stainless steel, as can be seen in the box as well.

The adapter that connect to the apple watch seems to be cut / molded nicely too.

I wish they do have a bit of stitching to it, I like the added details, however I'm extremely please with the strap and considering I got a 25% off when purchasing, it was definitely a no brainer for me.

I'm looking forward to see how the patina develop over time!

I'm one happy buyer for this one and definitely much cheaper than their original version.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Hey guys, just want to update you on my purchase. Decided to take the plunge on the modern nomad strap and their iphone leather case as well.

Below is the link to the pictures. Hopefully it is clear enough for you guys that are wondering about it.

http://imgur.com/a/Hruui

First 15 minutes impression - I like the leather quality, there is the smell of the leather to it.

For stiffness, I tried the apple classic buckle in the apple store and the scale being 0 for very stiff and 10 being very soft. Apple classic buckle I would put it at 10/10 and Nomad at say 7/10. I do expect the strap will become softer in the next week / couple of weeks as it mold to my hand.

The thickness of the strap, it is slightly thicker than apple classic buckle I believe but I do kind of like the thickness.

The buckle / lug itself is stainless steel, as can be seen in the box as well.

The adapter that connect to the apple watch seems to be cut / molded nicely too.

I wish they do have a bit of stitching to it, I like the added details, however I'm extremely please with the strap and considering I got a 25% off when purchasing, it was definitely a no brainer for me.

I'm looking forward to see how the patina develop over time!

I'm one happy buyer for this one and definitely much cheaper than their original version.

Congratulations with this purchase. IMHO for $ 60, they did a nice job and with 25 % off, it was a no brainer indeed.
Real Horween leather and made in China to keep the price low. It is a pity their traditional band is still so expensive.

Their Modern band looks really good to me. Nice prints at the back and special deigned adapters to give the watch more ‘body’. What I don’t like about the adapters is the small gap in the middle which is so visible. It is too ‘disturbing’ for me. Perhaps the color of the adapters would better fit with the Space Black AW but also suit Space Grey.

I understand you miss some stitching but is is just this single layer design and also how the band is attached to the adapter.

If you look for example at this Bexar band http://www.bexargoods.com/collections/watch-straps/products/apple-watch-strap-brown-pre-reserve the leather is curved around the adapter and than stitched. Just to give it a more traditional look.

What I also like about the Modern band is its buckle. It has for me the right size and is not oversized as the one on the Traditional band. I had the Gen 1 in tan and it also looked like me wearing a Panerai.:(

Perhaps the two retainers are too wide and the pin holes too big, but well they call is a Modern band after all.

My conclusion: for the money - compared with some knock offs - this band with some small design flaws is hard to beat. Of course the design of the adapters must appeal to you but otherwise you own a nice very product indeed. Perhaps for Nomad an idea to also have some more colours available in the future like black and tan…:)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada

IMHO for $ 60, they did a nice job and with 25 % off, it was a no brainer indeed.

Hi I was wondering, how did you get the 25% discount? I don't see it on their website. Am I missing something?

claused

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Congratulations with this purchase. IMHO for $ 60, they did a nice job and with 25 % off, it was a no brainer indeed.
Real Horween leather and made in China to keep the price low. It is a pity their traditional band is still so expensive.

Their Modern band looks really good to me. Nice prints at the back and special deigned adapters to give the watch more ‘body’. What I don’t like about the adapters is the small gap in the middle which is so visible. It is too ‘disturbing’ for me. Perhaps the color of the adapters would better fit with the Space Black AW but also suit Space Grey.

I understand you miss some stitching but is is just this single layer design and also how the band is attached to the adapter.

If you look for example at this Bexar band http://www.bexargoods.com/collections/watch-straps/products/apple-watch-strap-brown-pre-reserve the leather is curved around the adapter and than stitched. Just to give it a more traditional look.

What I also like about the Modern band is its buckle. It has for me the right size and is not oversized as the one on the Traditional band. I had the Gen 1 in tan and it also looked like me wearing a Panerai.:(

Perhaps the two retainers are too wide and the pin holes too big, but well they call is a Modern band after all.

My conclusion: for the money - compared with some knock offs - this band with some small design flaws is hard to beat. Of course the design of the adapters must appeal to you but otherwise you own a nice very product indeed. Perhaps for Nomad an idea to also have some more colours available in the future like black and tan…:)

Yeah I totally agree with you there.

In regards to the adapter, it is actually not a gap (literally there's a space there) , more of like dent if that make sense. Fortunately I'm okay with that!

For color wise, yeah. But i'm so used to it now and in fact liking it more and more because my woven nylon adapter have the same color as the nomad adapter.

Oh yes the size is the one thing that made me go for it as well. I wish they do a traditional strap, with modern buckle and at the price point of say USD $80~100. It would have been an instant buy for me!

Hi I was wondering, how did you get the 25% discount? I don't see it on their website. Am I missing something?

Well if you go to the check out page, there's a coupon text area and a quick google of hellonomad voucher should give you some discount codes that you can try!

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I managed to pick up the new Nomad Modern Build with Black Hardware from my local Best Buy today. It's so nice with the Space Gray. Let me know if you guys want pictures.

Traded in two video games I wasn't playing for $45, so I ended up paying $15 for the strap.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I managed to pick up the new Nomad Modern Build with Black Hardware from my local Best Buy today. It's so nice with the Space Gray. Let me know if you guys want pictures.

Traded in two video games I wasn't playing for $45, so I ended up paying $15 for the strap.

I want to like it so bad except my wrist requires me to wear it on the second to last hole and I'm in between sizes - tight on that one and loose on the last - not to mention it looks a bit odd wearing it that close to the end IMO. best looking of all the leather ones I've tried, though.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the lugs - but that might be because I have to wear it so tight and they feel stressed.

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I want to like it so bad except my wrist requires me to wear it on the second to last hole and I'm in between sizes - tight on that one and loose on the last - not to mention it looks a bit odd wearing it that close to the end IMO. best looking of all the leather ones I've tried, though.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the lugs - but that might be because I have to wear it so tight and they feel stressed.

Have you tried the other Nomad Best Buy sales with Italian leather? I bought that one first but I'm returning it since this Modern Build is cheaper and I like the color a bit more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nomad-l...atch-42mm-brown-black/4850200.p?skuId=4850200

I can do a length comparison before I return it if you would like.

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016

Attachments

• IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    824.9 KB · Views: 2,192
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    750.3 KB · Views: 2,274
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    742.9 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 814
Reactions: vader_slri and Thai

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I'm not a fan of those monster lugs, the weird notch in the middle, and how they change they shape of the case, but that's strictly MO.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
yeah the notch in the middle of the adapter is a design flaw to me....It seem the leather is already much 'stressed' after such short use or is it the photo ?

Attachments

• IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 332

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
yeah the notch in the middle of the adapter is a design flaw to me....It seem the leather is already much 'stressed' after such short use or is it the photo ?

The leather gets that stressed first use as you start wrapping the Watch around your hand. It's not as bad compared to their Italian leather they also sell at BB from Nomad.

antnee

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
The leather gets that stressed first use as you start wrapping the Watch around your hand. It's not as bad compared to their Italian leather they also sell at BB from Nomad.

Its horween leather vs italian leather.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.