Non-AirPort Wireless Adapter for iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dr. Pookey, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Dr. Pookey macrumors newbie

Dr. Pookey

Okay...

I have an "old", 600mhz G3 iMac. I need to connect to my wireless network. At this point, I don't even care if it's only Wireless-B. My computer is able to accept a 1G Airport card, but that would cost me over $100. I've researched USB adapters, but I've only found an old, discontinued Belkin adapter and I think it was for 10.2. Does anyone know a good solution for connecting to my wireless network?

2. Dr. Pookey thread starter macrumors newbie

Dr. Pookey

3. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

I beleve most belkin products will work with apples built in airport. go with the belkin. If it works for 10.2 it will probably work for tiger. if it doesent work return it.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

stay away from USB based adaptors. They tend to be flaky as they require drivers and support can be pretty bad.

A much better choice is an ethernet based adaptor, like the linksys wet54 or wet11. dlink also makes a ethernet based adaptor I believe. they are more expensive, but more reliable as they don't require drivers and are complteely independent of the OS. I use a WET11 and its great.

5. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

I most likely have an Original Airport card I can sell you for a lot less than $100. PM me.

6. Dr. Pookey thread starter macrumors newbie

Dr. Pookey

Thanks everyone.

I decided to go with the Linksys WET11.