Non Apple Keyboards.. what are you using?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Malfoy, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

I use a dinovo multimedia keyboard setup on my pc and am looking for a non apple keyboard that has full functionality (STUPID LOGITECH AND THEIR LACK OF SUPPORT).So what type of keyboards do you guys use if its not the Apple keyboard?

2. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

I was at one point tempted to use one of the old Model M IBM keyboards with a ps2 to usb adaptor, nothing like the solid feel of those keys. :)

I do have to say though, that I like the feel of the new dell usb keyboards, <ducks for cover>. I assume that they work with os x just fine, I should plug one into my powerbook at work someday and see.

As for logitech keyboards, what doesn't work about them? And I wouldn't buy another logitech keyboard if you paid me anyhow, last 2 I had didn't last very long.

failing that, on my mini I use an apple keyboard, and the powerbook... well, just the built in.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

At college, I use a unbranded Dell keyboard that I bought for $3.

At home, I use the Apple keyboard.

4. Malfoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

For majority of their new ones, they don't offer apple drivers. :( So if you plugged them in, you could type on them but many of the special buttons/controls wouldn't work.

5. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I have one of the Logitech Media Keyboards and it has full OS X support. It has a great feel and lots of helpful extra buttons. I'm getting rid of it, though. Time to go Bluetooth...

6. Malfoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

You going Apple BT or someone else?

7. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I got used to the Microsoft keyboard, i have been using them for like 4 years and i dont think i can swicth. When i play any games and use anything other then a microsoft keyboard i am not upto par by a longshot, so i just stick with em.

8. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

9. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Yup, I love the feel of Apple keyboards.

10. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

And they even get the 6 key in the correct position, I had given up on ergo keyboards. MS started the trend of putting the 6 on the wrong side of the split, ever other keybaord after that, which I've seen, followed that pattern.

11. blackstone macrumors regular

Mmm...clickiness

I use a Matias Tactile Pro, with nice clicky ALPS keyswitches. One of the things that I was really afraid of when I switched to Macs was that I'd never be able to find a nice clicky-feeling keyboard again (my favorites are the old Northgate ALPS keyswitches from the early 90's, and the heavy-as-hell IBM Model M keyboards with buckling spring keyswitches from the same time period). But the Matias does pretty well! It's expensive for a keyboard, but I don't plan on replacing it any time soon, and having my fingers stay happy is more important...

http://www.matias.ca/tactilepro/index.php

I do wish, though, that Unicomp (the company that now holds the license for the Model M keyboards) had been selling USB keyboards when I was in the market for a new keyboard. I'd have bought one in a minute!

12. geeman macrumors regular

Never really liked Apple keyboards, so I use a (6 year old) MacAlly 'iKey' USB keyboard connected to my PB15 when I'm in the office. It has nice full-travel keys reminicent of the old IBM "clickety-click' keyboards of years ago. I find that I don't make as many typing errors as I do when I'm using the PB keyboard.

I have the standard Apple keyboard on my G5, but find that fast, accurate typing is harder than the PB keyboard!

Of course, it's just a question of practice. And I still use the backspace key more than any other, regardless of which keyboard I use...:) :)

13. Malfoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

I wish I knew of this clicky feeling you're refering to. :eek: I paid the same price for my dinovo and I agree with you, certain things are important for my computing needs(ala long term investments) and I don't mind paying more for them. For me those things are computer chair, keyboard/mouse, and monitor.

I'm kind of looking for something with media functions which has me leaning to wards some MS products. But they're just so huge! (relative to the dinovo) I'd be willing to forgo said functions though if the keyboard felt just right. I can see I'm in for a long trek...

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

No mac keyboards will be as nice as the dinovo. If you want media functions you'll have to buy one of those huge things. I personally see nothing wrong with the apple bluetooth keyboard though.

15. blackstone macrumors regular

The clickiness is kind of hard to explain.... it's a matter of how the keyswitch mechanism is constructed. Most keyboards sold now have rubber-dome or membrane switches (a rubber nub that contains a top contact and a bottom contact, so that when you push the rubber nub down it completes the circuit). So there is not a lot of tactile feedback during the keypress or the final contact. Also, depending on the keyboard, they can be kind of slow to react. They usually range from feeling a little bit mushy to (in the bad ones) feeling totally gummy and unresponsive.

ALPS keyswitches (like those used in the Matias or the old Northgates) are composed entirely of metal. There is very little resistance during the keypress, but you get tactile feedback and a nice 'click' when the keystroke finishes. I'd describe the feel of an ALPS keyswitch as being light and crisp.

Buckled-spring keyswitches (like those used in the old IBM Model M keyboards) have a little more resistance during the keypress and a lot of tactile feedback, with the same 'click' when the keystroke finishes. They spring back up very nicely when you're done pressing the key. Buckled-spring keyswitches can feel a bit heavy if you're not accustomed to them, but once you get used to it you start enjoying the feeling of typing on a buckled-spring keyboard.

Okay.... so that's prob way more than anyone wanted to know about clickiness....

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm using a Logitech Internet Navigator and it's great with my Logitech trackball since there is a scroller on the left hand side of the keyboard.

I'd really like to have their latest gaming keyboard but with a lack of drivers, it won't do anything. It's better to buy a Nostromo Speed Pad or whatever it's called.

I really dislike Apple's keyboards but if no one will offer superior functionality and a keyboard is just a keyboard, I don't mind getting inexpensive keyboards as long as they're good for typing.

17. mavherzog macrumors 6502

I prefer my keyboards numpadless and extra clicky. :)

18. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I use the combo mouse keyboard Logitech LX 710, it's meh, but I like it a lot, cool style.

19. powz macrumors regular

I was thinking of getting this but was hesitant because the Logitech website only lists Windows compatibility. How'd you get it working with OSX?

Also, has anyone tried the Logitech S530, which is designed specifically for Macs?

20. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Anyone use this keyboard? I don't think it has the mechanical switches like the professional line of Happy Hacking keyboards, but it does still have significant space-saving foo.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I had the S530 for about a year, wasn't bad at all. But eventually, a couple of the keys started getting flaky so I replaced it with an Apple BT keyboard and kept the S530 mouse.

Then, when I moved back into my college house, my roommate also got a logitech wireless desktop set. Different model, but they must use the same receiver, because there was some serious interference. Every few minutes, whatever he typed would be picked up my receiver. Likewise, his receiver picked up my mouse movements. I suppose Logitech has never heard of encryption, because this stuff was clear text, I could see exactly what he was typing whenever it happened. So I ordered a Logitech MX Revolution mouse to replace my mouse, and that just came in today, and I've been using it all afternoon without problems. And the mouse is just ****ing amazing.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd certainly consider it since there is a Japanese version available. It would cut down on my need to click the language menu item and then, click it again.

23. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

These KBs from Cherry looks very sturdy. I'm considering replacing my Apple KB with this one.

24. powz macrumors regular

Wow, that sucks. Thanks for sharing. I think I may actually do a mix & match setup like yours -- I've been eyeing the MX/VX Revolution too.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yep, I love my setup.

The Apple Bluetooth keyboard is awesome (I don't have the new thin ones, and won't until Apple puts the number pad back). And once you use the MX Revo, you won't want to use anything else.

The whole logitech thing did suck. I can't believe stuff would be sent in the clear like that, I hate to know what sort of information someone could have possibly gathered for the year I was using my S530. But Bluetooth is encrypted, and if someone wants to capture my mouse movements, then I say let them. But I think the Revo uses it's own special communication protocols since it's 2 way (due to the awesomeness of the autoswitching scroll wheel)