non Apple LCD's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by woodsie, Mar 23, 2005.

1. woodsie macrumors member

looking for a 20" monitor....something cheaper than apple's.
    i've seen Formac's but price wise it's about the same.

any recommendations for other brands?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

*sssshhhh*

Dell makes some good ones. And combined with these discounts , how could you go wrong :eek:

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

gotta agree with kingjr3, dell does make some good LCD from everything that i have seen and heard, and they have good prices on them too

Sony's are over-priced as well

your best bet is probably to go with a Dell, though i cant say that i like the company

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I have a Sharp 19" LCD I am very happy with and a new Dell 20" widescreen, and the LaCie LCDs are good for graphic artists.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

5. supergod macrumors 6502

I'm using the Dell 2005fpw right now, and my gosh is it amazing. I would recommend it highly. It has a slightly better image quality, espeically as far as colors go, compared to the cinema display. It's more adjustable and it also imputs from Svideo and such. Also, it's half (that's right) the price of the Apple. I highly recommend the widescreen format at all costs: the OS was really designed for it and you don't realize until you make the switch.

Widescreen is a totally different experience.

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm a fan of Samsung. (Although many of the Dell monitors are Samsungs).

7. iGary Guest

iGary

$899.00 is a killer price for an aluminum display (educational), but a lot of people here like Dell.

I refuse to give those toolboxes my money. :D

8. supergod macrumors 6502

I'm amazed by the whole idea of design and Apple, specifically that all Apple design is great and all Dell is bad. I agree: my Dell is not gorgeous, but it sure looks good. I find it amazing that the people on these forums find it impossible to compromise on the looks of their computers. Is it the same with every product? If these people were so uncompromising in the design of their lifestyles, they could easily spend vast fortunes on furniture by designers and clothing. While I myself am a huge style fanatic and very carefully craft the layout of all my living areas I also have Ikea furniture: because it's cheap. It's not made as well, it doesn't last as long and it doesn't look as nice (although it does look cool) but you can't beat the price for that style and convenience. This is how I feel about Dell.
    I hate using the sprawling Dell website as much as I hate going to the sprawling Ikea superstore, but I do it. Not because I couldn't afford better, but because I don't see the need to always do it.
    I have seen so many ugly mac setups in my time (wires everywhere, monitors on angles, the whole deal) that comparing an ugly Apple setup with a very neat *mixed* setup is a no:brainer. It's all in the way the components are arranged for practicality and aesthetics, not in the perfect look of each product.
    Go with the Dell, you'll be happy with it.

9. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

10. anubis macrumors 6502a

Dell flat panels are amazing. Excellent quality at groundshattering prices

11. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Try Buy.com for deals on LCDs. Got an Acer 17" lcd for my cube, bright as anything too.

http://www.buy.com/cat/lcd_displays/384.html

if you're not doing prepress color matching work, I wouldn't spend the extra money on an Apple lcd if I was strapped for cash.

12. el greenerino macrumors regular

Dell for price. NEC so you don't feel a cheapo. Apple if you decide to sell your kidney.

13. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

If you need apple then look at the refurb store. The Dell 20" is really good though.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I work on these machines 12-14 hours a day. It is important to ME (maybe not anyone else) to be pleased with the aesthetics and the looks of what I'm working on - Apple gives me that, most other companies don't.

It's a matter of taste.

I'm sure the Dell is fine, just not my cup of tea.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Oh, it's important - just not a deciding factor to me. If the Dell was $200 cheaper than the Apple, I'd have probably bought the Apple LCD. $300... that's when I start to waffle. $400, $500... forget it, I'd rather have the Dell and save some cash.

I got my Dell on sale when it was HALF the cost of the Apple. I'm a starving student (literally.. hmm, what's for breakfast?) so I simply couldn't afford anything more.

When I get my $75,000+ job (heh..) I intend to buy a PowerMac G5 tower, and drive dual Apple 20" or 23" displays. And drive a really nice car too. But until then... the Dell will do.