Non Apple RAM? What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stoid, May 14, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm looking at upgrading the RAM in my PowerBook from the stock 2x256MB chips to 1.25 by purchasing a 1GB chip. I looked on dealram.com and the cheapest 1GB chip is $265 but it says that it is not compatible with Apple laptops The cheapest RAM that is list as compatible with Apple laptops is $319. Why do I have to spend $55 more for the Apple chip?!? I am a poor college student having to work a few part time jobs over the summer so that I can afford college next year and so this $55 DOES make a difference to me.

What is it about RAM chips that determine compatibility with an Apple laptop, because I can't see any difference in the technical specifications?

Thanks for the help,

stoid

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

they just want to milk* you its perfectly fine use buy the cheaper $265

3. reaper macrumors 6502

I think it's just another way for them to get you to pay more money. I put more ram into my G4 tower and it wasn't from Apple and it works great. I bought mine from crucial so I would use their compatibility database and see what they can offer you. Hope that helps.

- reaper

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

5. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I called 1-800-4MEMORY and the operator told me that the internal prgramming on the chips is what made one chip incompatible while the Samsung chip has more compatible on chip programming.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i was purchasing ram for an emac last summer, and i (obviously) ran into the same issue. apple systems use standard ram. period. HOWEVER, make EXTRA sure that it is compatible with your system. I purchased several hundered dollars of ram for a few systems, only to find that none of it worked. why? it was the wrong density. high vs. low density ram DOES make a difference and i at the time couldnt' find it in apples documentation anywhere. That was frustrating, but the issue came up when the place I bought the ram from charged me a restocking fee. That sucked. All the places will do this, and the only way for them to "guarantee" that it will work with your system is to use a memory configurator. that configurator will give you the higher priced ram.

moral of the story: yes, you can buy the cheaper ram, and it will work just fine, but watch out so you dont' get burned

PS I have purchased the "cheaper" ram for other systems with no problem.

good luck

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Memory...

You certainly don't have to buy apple's ram, but I would really suggest staying with a dealer such as kingston or crucial. Ram is an important part of a computer, and any irregularities caused by malfunctioning ram could be quite damaging and/or time consuming.
    Ask your self this, would you rather pay extra for something you KNOW will work, or less for something that SHOULD work?
    I mean, come on, you got a mac instead of a pc, that answer should be obvious.