Non-crippled NES emulators for OS X

Discussion in 'Games' started by brandon6684, Jan 27, 2007.

1. brandon6684 Guest

Are there any free NES emulators for OS X that have at least a minimal GUI, gamepad support, and don't require some sort of crap 3rd party shareware plugin to get "full functionality", or should I just try for Windows versions in parallels.

2. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I don't really know exactly if this fits your needs: but I have a NES emulator called RockNES and a SNES emulator called SNES9x

3. brandon6684 thread starter Guest

I have SNES9X, and it's awesome. I can't seem to find a good version of RockNES that has good(built in) gamepad support. However, right after I posted this thread(basically after I'd given up), I found something called FCEUltraOSX, which is basically a cocoa port of FCE Ultra. It can be found here, and it's quite nice. Now I need to find a non crippled genesis emulator(going on a long trip and need to keep myself occupied). I'm really begining to hate that Richard Bannister *******. Securing the rights to GPL'd programs, and releasing closed source crippled versions with useful features being held hostage by his little shareware plugin.

4. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Nevermind...don't want to upset the man

5. brandon6684 thread starter Guest

The emulators themselves are legal, but the ROMs are another matter, so don't ask for or post links here. Don't be a retard and get my thread pulled.

6. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I thought they were legal as long as you only downloaded ROMS to which you already own the cartriges? I still have all of my old NES cartriges so I wouldn't worry about any raids on my house. I don't pirate music/software or anything else for that matter. Also, I can say without hesitation that I am not a "retard". I actually have a Ph.D. go figure lol. By the way, "retard" is not very politically correct and deemed very derogatory.

Cheers.

7. brandon6684 thread starter Guest

That it self is still a gray area, but the fact still remains that if people start posting links to sites to "download ROMs for games they own" this thread will still go away, so don't even ask.

8. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I removed my post so as not to upset "the man". I did not know it would cause such an action. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Cheers

9. brandon6684 thread starter Guest

Thanks, I've seen to many threads into too many forums go bye bye after the topic veered(perhaps innocently) in to grayer and darker areas.

10. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Yeah, I can see how that happens. It's better to be cautious than not. That way you won't be caught with your pants down (figuratively of course). Sorry again for not thinking before posting.

11. brandon6684 thread starter Guest

But if you read all that carefully, it seems Nintendo's claims that ROM dumpers and emulators are illegal all fall back on the premise that any resulting distribution of the ROMs or playing illegally obtained ROMs is really the illegal part, which it is. Nintendo's argument is basically that anyone dumps ROMs is distributing them illegally, and anyone who uses emulators is using illegal ROMs. While the hardware isn't exactly the easiest thing to come by, actually extracting the ROMs is exactly the same as people ripping DVDs with Handbrake to play on their iPods. I can't put DVD's into my iPod, so I rip it into a friendly format, same with extracting the ROMs, my NES hardware is all but busted, but I have a large library of games that I'd like to continue to play, but that doesn't mean that I distributing movies or games. Ripping the ROMs seems to be less illegal than the DVDs, because I don't thing they are covered under the DMCA.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't disagree with you. I've ripped part of my DVD collection into iTunes. I ripped my DS games to a MicroSD card so I have my whole collection with me always. Regardless, it's something Nintendo says you shouldn't do and flauting that with links and such on a forum isn't the best thing to do.

But then again, Nintendo isn't Sony. They won't shut down an entire site because they didn't get on with them :rolleyes:

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I wouldn't worry about raids either but that doesn't make what you're doing legal in the US.

14. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

15. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Just out of interest - I've always wondered how people go about ripping cartridge ROMs, as there's no obvious way to hook up an old console to a computer. Hopefully we can discuss connectivity without getting this thread banned?

16. ClassicFitness macrumors member

Good question....I've always wondered the same thing????
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

17. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Actually it was, but the original poster seems to have a slight bit of distain toward Richard Bannister, mainly for charging for his plugin that enhances most of his emulator. I'd hardly call him "holding them hostage". He spends a lot of time on those applications and I think if as a user we enjoy using them a little support isn't unwarrented. I find that 30 dollars is a small price to pay for the features of EE, especially when it applys to all the Emulators he makes. But to each his own.

18. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

...ah, I just see now that the OP is slagging off Bannister in a later post. Sorry to say, but that's ignorant: I've used Emulator Enhancer for a long time and been able to get full joypad support without registering (sorry Richard!) It's nice that he's not a jerk and gives near-full-to-full functionality without payment first, the true meaning of "shareware." Fairly sure paying just removes the "if you like it, contribute" nagging dialogue box. Correct me if I'm somehow wrong/if this doesn't apply to Intel; I'm using the latest EE build + emus on PPC/Universal.

Totally agree with your statements on the work Bannister puts into it. He's been very nice & responsive with any support questions I've had. He's also probably done more single-handedly to sustain Mac/OS X emulation than anyone else (esp. since John Stiles disappeared/got a job).

In conclusion, maybe the OP should get his facts straight before trashing a hard-working developer; stop calling others "retards"; and slink off, red-faced, to play Bannister's emulators with full, free, joypad support.