non isight webcam ?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by thevessels, Dec 18, 2004.

1. thevessels macrumors regular

ok i need a webcam that is osx compatible and not $200
    preferably liek under $50
    anyone have any ideas ?!
    thanks !
    -chris

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

There are some you can find but you have to download drivers for some, or get programs to adjust settings, etc. I have a Logitech Quickcam Zoom (pro? i dunno) and I had to download a program to make the image from a dark screen to actual picture. You can download a program (around $10) iChatUSBCam that allows USB Cameras to work with iChat. Otherwise it works fine with everything else you need it for. If you want a good quality camera don't get a cheap one. They don't seem to be as good, and try to stay away from USB 1.1

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

If you mean iChat compatible then you want to be looking at Firewire webcams, much better quality than USB webcams but unfortunately also more expensive. I don't think you're going to have much like trying to find a firewire webcam under $50.

Workaround might be to buy a cheap USB webcam - a dime a dozen - and download iChatUSBCam, which will make it compatible with iChat.

4. thevessels thread starter macrumors regular

thanks that link really helps !
    this is just for my sister so i dont think she really needs a super highrez image

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Glad it worked out, just make sure you check the list of compatible webcams - don't think the hack supports all webcams. :)