Non-iTunes audio playback options?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I know of Cog and Songbird - but what are the other options? Thanks.

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

This looks like it could be promising, and it runs on real computers and Dells alike :p

5. Vercingetorix macrumors regular

I've got a related question -- I'm looking for a quick and easy way to preview MP3s before importing them into ITunes. Obviously I could just do this in the Finder, but often I want to know what the bitrate of an MP3 is, and I haven't figured out how to make the Finder show me this information.

Before I switched to the Mac I just had Winamp set as my default audio player for files I clicked in in Win Explorer; I would preview MP3s using it, check out the bitrate, audio quality, etc., and decide if I wanted to keep it, and then import it into ITunes, which is what I used for all my playback. I downloaded a couple of small-ish audio applications for OS X, but none of them gave me bitrate information about the file that I was playing. (At least, not quickly & obviously, which is the whole point.)

Is there a small-footprint audio player that will do what I want? (Or, better yet, is there an easy way to get Finder to tell me bitrate info about a file?)

Thanks!

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Mozilla are taking their sweet time with Songbird...