Non-Linear Do What You Want Type of Game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey all,
    I am looking for a game with a story but it can be non-linear, like you can do what you like. For example on the PC there is Freelancer and Sid Meiers Pirates! I was looking for a game like this where you can explore new worlds and cities and trade make contacts and the such. I got X2: The threat but as VERY dissapointed. ITS TOO DAMN COMPLICATED TO CONTROL THE FRACKING SHIP!!!!!!!!

It must be a mac game.

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

You might look into Escape Velocity: Nova. This newest release was disappointing for a lot of old-school EV fans, but it has the best graphics and (I believe) is the only OS X build. Once you begin one of the major storylines, your character is "locked" in the story, and when you finish it there's nothing to do.

Otherwise, EV: Override and the original EV are amazing games, with hundreds of plug-ins. These earlier versions are less linear, and have hundreds of engaging plots. I spent countless hours making my own worlds and stories when I was little with editors and such.

Before Nova, the franchise was entirely Mac-only. My friends wanted Macs just so they could play this game! Now I think it's wasting away in the hands of Ambrosia. But, I digress.

3. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

The lack of graphics is putting my off but Ill give it a try(graphics isnt everything). I tried it once before all I remember is I hated how the ship moves(the physics).

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yeah, they were awesome back in... 1996. And the new graphics engine is kind of disappointing... but the missile effects are cool.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

What I really want is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ported, but that's probs never gonna happen, however übercool it may be

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - incase you're too dim to get the joke) will hopefully never see the light of day and fall into obscurity like 'Duke Nukem Forever'.

The world has enough mediocre 'ejection-port-on-the-left-side-so-you-can-eject-hot-brass-onto-yourself' games with poor art direction. Surely, we don't need another.

Also, last time I checked, the game makes use of the HAVOK physics engine. Good luck with that one, buddy.

As far as mac gaming is concerned? Good luck with that one as well...

I suppose there's always 'WoW'?