non-mac hardware on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jhu, Apr 4, 2004.

1. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

hi everyone. i had a simple question concerning the use of non-mac specific hardware on a mac. specifically, do video cards with x86-roms work under os 9/os x? if not, what's the reason?

i mainly use linux so this is a moot issue for me as the hardware becomes available after the kernel loads the drivers.

2. chv400 macrumors 6502

I'm not to sure on the details on it but i know its possible to "flash" the ROM or whatever it is on the PC version of the Radeon 7000 to make it work on a Mac.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Some do, but I think not many without flashing the card's ROMs. I've never been brave enough to try it personally. Keep in mind also that you won't find a PC video card with an ADC connector, assuming it matters to you.

4. jhu thread starter macrumors 6502a

jhu

even on osx? i assume this is the same with other types of hardware?

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Like what? Hard drives and RAM are the same on either, USB and Firewire devices tend to be cross platform, and Macs usually have all the cool stuff on them out of the box. AirPort is the only other thing I can think of where you have to use Apple's part.

What do you want to do with your Mac?

6. jhu thread starter macrumors 6502a

jhu

i was referring to add-in cards such as scsi, fibre-channel, sound, etc. i don't really do much with my old computers. i get them working to a satisfactory level, then i just put them in the closet.