Non PC Emulating VMs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Squareball, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Squareball macrumors regular

On my x86 box I can run VMWare inside Linux or Windows to boot a virtual PC and install another OS. On the Mac I can run Virtual PC but it emulates a PC. Is there any software on the mac that doesn't emulate x86 but gives me a ppc virtual machine?

2. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I think there's Mac-On-Linux, which runs on Linux and lets you run MacOS.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What in God's name are you trying to do? Did you expect VPC to emulate something other than a x86-based personal computer? Well, it can't but it is not supposed to. Do you believe that VPC can only emulate a Windows-based computer? FWIW, you can run just about any x86-based OS on VPC. As for other emulators, there are many available for the PPC-based Mac. There are two that emulate 68000-based Macs, and many others including the Bochs x86 emulator, several Apple ][ emulators, an HP 48 emulator, numerous game consoles, a DEC PDP-8 emulator, and so many more. Some have been ported to MacOS X 10.x, some are stuck in Classic.

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Whoa Mr. Me, calm down there. I guess there are many things you could do with a PPC processor. I know there are emulators out there that will do what you want, but I can't think of the names of them right now. Try searching sourceforge, they'll have some of teh stuff you want.

BEN