NON pci-x Power Mac G5 and video

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by treysmay, May 27, 2005.

1. treysmay macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    toronto, ontario, canada
    I have a few questions about the Power Mac and its video.

1. Does the adapter from the Mac mini which allows DVI to TV work on the power Mac? If so does it work well? Blurry on a normal rear projection TV.?
    2. Can I run a TV as a second monitor to preview, final cut video or a Photoshop pallet?
    3. Are any of the Mac video cards PCI-X only? Or can u put any newer Mac video card in the NON-pci-x Macs? (Sing, 1.8 & dual 2.0)

I’d really appreciate the help. I’ve been recommended the iMac but I need the swap ability and upgradeability. The Mac mini is a nice headless Mac but just seems to weak. so therefore the single 1.8 seems affordable Thanks
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    1) Yes it should, I have one of those adapters (DVI to VGA- is this what you meant?) in use on my desktop pc and it works fine- should be the same on the powermac.
    2) Not sure, but if your video card has S-Video/video out slot it sounds feasible.
    3)Cant think of any PCI-X video cards off the top of my head, but there is always the 8x AGP Pro slot for upgrading your video card.