Non-phone e-mail device

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Toe, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Hi, folks. My CEO would like an ultra-portable e-mail device. He doesn't want a phone, and he certainly doesn't want a $500, non-existant iPhone: he needs something now and something relatively inexpensive.

Back in the day (like a couple years ago) the name for this device was "a Blackberry" because they were portable e-mail devices running on the RIM network (as I understand it). But now even Blackberry's are phones, and they run on other provider's networks.

If all he needs is something (with a full thumb keyboard) that can send and read his corporate (IMAP) e-mail account, what should I be looking for? So far the best I have found is something like a Palm Treo with data service (but not phone service) from Verizon or Cingular (T-Mo coverage is too urban for the places he travels).

Can anyone provide some guidance or suggestions? Are there actually low-cost data carriers for e-mail only service?

Thanks!

2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Why not just tell him to get a BlackBerry? You are not required to use the phone. You can just get a straight data plan.