Non-standard PS2 Controllers on PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by zelmo, Jan 5, 2007.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I was happy to learn that my new PS3 can connect to my TV via my PS2 component cables, so I don't need to purchase new ones [no HDMI on my RPTV]. I can simply connect my PS3 where my PS2 was, and enjoy nexgen goodness while also enjoying complete backwards compatibility with my PS2/PS1 library [and give my PS2 to someone who will appreciate it].
    Unfortunately, I loves me some™ Guitar Hero, and my daughter loves her some™ DDR. These specialized controllers can connect to the PS3 via a USB-PS2 adapter, but cannot be used for gameplay, since they lack the new PS3 logo button that must be depressed to acknowledge the older games.

Does anyone know of a way to use a PS2 Guitar Hero SG controller with a PS3?

2. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Good questions....as of right now there is no adapter or controller that would make this possible.
    However, givent he success of GH, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony(or some third party) were to release a controller with the PS button on it.

btw - I sold my PS2($75) about a month before I got my PS3.

3. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Fortunately, GH is not a 1st party game, because we all know Sony would just release a PS3 version of the game and force everyone to buy new guitar controllers. 'Nexgen - gots to pay to play, then pay some more."

I hope Konami, Red Octane or someone else comes up with a solution. Maybe a USB-to-PS2 adapter with a button on it that would activate the controller, or [even better] a wireless box you could just plug any ol' PS2 controller into.

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

My guess is it won't happen until they finish the 360 version of GH2.

Doesn't rule out a possible third party solution, though.

5. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Hmmm. If that oval logo on the box actually activates the controller, then it would seem to be exactly what is needed. Thanks for the link, I'll have to look into this product further before dropping $50 for two of them.

Anyone ever heard of Pega before?

EDIT: Seems like they've been manufacturing/importing gaming gear for a few years, but I couldn't find any info on this 'p2-p3 controller converter' on their own website.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

7. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

RedOctane a have just released the box art and other images, so I would expect the 360 version to be out before too long.

8. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I didn't know a 360 GH2 was coming out. That's fantastic!

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I had heard GH2 360 was coming in March, looking for a date now only seems to turn up "Q1 2007"... so who knows. Soon though.

10. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

11. ../ben macrumors newbie

I don't get it. The PS2 controller doesn't have a PS button. So why does it work with the adapter?

12. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

They don't work with the PS3, although the eBay item linked in here purports to make it possible to use them.

13. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

From NYKO:

looks like problem is solved

14. pocoloco macrumors newbie

Pega PS2 to PS3 converter

Let me save you some money. The above link for the Pega ps2->ps3 does not work. I bought two thinking it would work, but it does not. some times two keys work, but to make the two keys work is a trick that I am not aware of it yet. I tried, GH, GHII, the DDR mats and Sony PS2 controllers. Just not there yet. If I can ever get them to work (the trick or calling the manufacture), I'll leave a message back on this board.

15. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I sure hope they offer all the PS2 GH I tracks for the 360 version via Live.:(