noob network question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by quigleybc, Mar 7, 2007.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    hola

I just got my airport extreme up and running between my powermac and my macbook and I have a few basic questions.

-I set up my network and airport to have a password, but short of using a neighbor's laptop to see if it asks for a password, is there an easy to make sure it's protected?

-I installed the N update for wireless, is there a quick and easy way to see if I'm on N'.....?:eek:

-I plugged my nano into the usb input on the back of the extreme and it mounted ok, but five minutes later I double clicked it and got a "network disruped" error message, forget exactly what it said....anyway, the airdisc thing doesn't seem to work with the nano.

Otherwise the connection is super fast. thanks for any assistance ::)

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I don't have Airport, so excuse me, but...

Disconnect on one of your computers and connect again? That should prompt you for a password then, if its secured.

I don't know, but there is no reason you shouldn't be, it should automatically detect the settings so if you have n on your Mac, n will be used by the airport. Especially if you say the connection is 'Super fast' id say your on n.

As for your iPod, I can't help there, sorry.

3. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Thanks for the reply

I tried disconnecting and my Macbook asked to use my password from keychain, so that's a good sign that I'm secure.

As for N, I wish there was something similar to about this Mac where you can just click to see what version of OS X you're using, but instead it would be what type of wireless you're using.

and ya, plugging an iPod into the usb port on the back of the new airport was a bad idea...froze everything, had to erase and restore the iPod after...ya, not doing that again.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, im guessing its kind of not the point of the Network Drive, to use an iPod.

Have you tried looking in System Profiler thingy, that might tell you. I'm not at my Mac right now or id have a look but its worth a try.

5. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

To find out if you're using N rather than B/G, you can open up Network Utility and select your wireless card from the drop down box. Then just look at the network speed and if it's above 54MB/s, you're on N.

6. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out right now.

:)

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

D'oh! Network Utility. Why didn't I think of that? *Slaps head*

Yeah, it'll prolly be in there. :eek: