Noob question about ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SolRayz, Sep 5, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jul 5, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Ok so I'm not quite clear on something. Is ATV only capable of streaming videos from our mac's via iTunes library? What about all our videos stored in our movies folder and not at all associated with iTunes?
  2. macrumors regular

Sep 9, 2009
    No, the movies have to be in iTunes (at least that's how it is with the current ATV and most likely the same with the new one).
  3. macrumors 68040

Jul 29, 2008
    New Mexico
    Nope! You will have to move them to iTunes. Which is good for me since I have some specific videos that I don't want family members to see.;)
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 5, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Ok thats what I thought...:mad:

I guess I'll be looking into alternatives like WD TV or Boxee.
  5. macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2010
    I had a similar question to the OP. So basically folders on my PC can't be shared and access via the new ATV? Kinda of a bummer if itunes needs to be used.

I currently have all my movies as MP4 which i stream directly to my PS3 using PS3 Media server. This works great actually.
  6. macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2007
    movies (and music) can be added to itunes without moving them from the folder they were in. it would take no time at all to drop those movies into itunes and have them available for streaming on the new apple tv.
  7. macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Rather than start a new thread to expound on some of the information here, can someone confirm what I'm gathering from this thread.

Any format of movies that you've got on your computer, mp4, avi, etc, you can import them into iTunes and then stream from your Mac to the new Apple TV?

Does importing them into iTunes create a copy or any other redundancy taking up more space?

This might just be the perfect solution for me if that's the case.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2008
    The AppleTV will not play every video format out there.

In Preferences, you can select whether or not a copy is made when you add it to your iTunes library, so you don't have to have a 2nd copy.
  9. macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I presume the ATV will play any format that any other iOS device would, so generally H.264.
  10. Moderator

Staff Member

Oct 11, 2005
    The Black Country, England
    Here's what it will play...

11. macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2010

will it play 5.1 AAC? i use nero recode to make my MP4
  12. macrumors 68020

May 27, 2008
    if only apple had thought to put the answer to that question somewhere where anyone could find them with about 10 seconds of effort