noob question about running dual monitors from mac mini via HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jussha, Nov 4, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

2. simsaladimbamba

Why not use the Thunderbolt port with an MDP to DVI or MDP to HDMI adapter instead of using the splitter?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i feel so stupid i didn't realize that mini display ports also fit in the thunderbolt port

4. macrumors regular

I'm new to MDP too. Question: is there a detriment to using HDMI port vs the MDP? The reason I ask is I'd like to keep the Thunderbolt/MDP port open for possible attachments/expansion down the line.

5. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

An HDMi splitter would only mirror the image.

As long as the monitor is 1920x1200 or below you're fine. For higher resolutions you will need to use the TB port.

6. macrumors 6502

TB supports higher resolution than HDMI. The TB bus can be chained in a series. I have two monitors and a RAID array hanging off one TB port.

7. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Aye. Just if you're using connecting a DisplayPort monitor or adapter it must go at the end of the chain. Though this does bring up a slight problem in that some Thunderbolt devices do not provide a pass-through, as so must themselves be placed at the end of the chain.

8. macrumors newbie

Please forgive my ignorance, but after reading this thread, I'm still confused as to how to have dual (separate) monitors with the mac mini. I ordered the new mini with the Thunderbolt port. I understand that it also has an HDMI port. So, wouldn't I just be able to hook up one monitor using the HDMI port and another using the Thunderbolt port?

Please let me know if this would work.

Thanks!

9. simsaladimbamba

Yes, that will work.

10. macrumors regular

That's what I figured, just not sure how common for TB devices to have pass through, especially since there aren't many of them out.

Are there TB displays that have pass through? Does the Apple TB Cinema Display? Do others?

11. macrumors newbie

12. macrumors 65816

Most TB devices have the ability to daisy chain so they come with two ports. For example I have the Lacie TB eSata hub so I plug it into my Mac Mini and plug the MDP to HDMI cable into the Lacie hub. So even if you buy a TB device to expand in future you can plug the MDP into it and on and on.

Having said that not all TB devices have two ports (such as the Apple Gigabit and Firewire devices).

My MDP to HDMI cable from Belkin only cost me about $25 from the Apple store so even if it becomes obsolete it is not a huge loss.

I have one monitor on the MDP cable in the Lacie TB second port and one via an Apple HDMI cable on the HDMI port. I don't notice any difference.

13. simsaladimbamba

System Preferences > Displays >> Arrangement >>> Mirror Displays (but know, that the display with the lowest resolution determines the maximum resolution used on both, thus one display will have a lower than native resolution, except when both displays have the same native resolution)
    [​IMG]

14. macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't mean it's mirroring my Laptop screen. I can extend my screen to an external display, however when I plug in the hdmi wire, I just get a mirror image of the existing external display. So my screen has been extended to the two external displays (not mirrored) but they are the same as each other.

When I go to the Display settings that you showed, it only shows that i have one external screen even tho I can see the image on both the monitors.

Is this just an issue with the adapter?

Thanks,