Noob Question Of The Day

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carfac, Sep 15, 2006.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Hey:

How do I get the path to show in the top of the Finder window. Instead of "Applications" I would like to see "/My Computer/Users/Applications" or some such thing. Possible?

Oh- and how (or where, I guess) do I enable the quick user switching- getting the drop down list of all users next to the time?

Thanks!

Dave

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can press COMMAND whilst clicking on the title of the Finder window (among other apps) to see where it's coming from. Fast User Switching can be turned on in the Login Options of the Accounts pane of System Preferences. Is this what you're after? :)

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Perfect- thank you!

Is there a way to make paths show permenantly?

D

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You won't get the path to show permanently at the top of a Finder window, there are alternatives though.

1. You can command-click on the name at the top of the Finder window to display the path or,

2. Control-click in the tool bar area of the Finder window, choose "Customise Toolbar" and drag the "Path" button onto the Finder's toolbar. Click it to get the path.

Fast User Switching is enabled in the Accounts pane of the System Preferences.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Embarrassingly, I don't know of a free or easy way to get the path shown permanently. I have a feeling a Finder replacement like Path Finder will let you see this, but it's not free. :eek:

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That is embarrassing. You're terrible mad jew.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I think that's you.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ah. Touché.

[​IMG]

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So we all smell bad, but do we all have a headache. I know I certainly do after reading this. It's slightly helpful, but mainly refers to Terminal. Still, the AppleScript in there might help... :cool:

Chundles' odour is pungent. I'm just mildly oofy.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, dead-set pungent.

I'll take your headache if you'll do my night's work tonight and give me the pay.

12. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Well, this will due, thank you all!

Got fast switching working, and can see the path when I need to!

Why is it called the command key? I would have just called it an Apple key...

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I may smell bad, I may have a headache, I may even be mad, but I'm not stupid.

*Heads off to do Chundles' work*

You can call it the APPLE key if you like. It's the basis for many commands, which is why I guess it's called the COMMAND key. Sorry for taking your thread so horribly off topic. I'm sure you smell lovely, not like Chundles. :)

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's always been a command key. We have always been at war with East Asia.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Thanks jew. Have fun with the hen's party...

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

ive always wondered why madjews post count is so high... 5 posts in the first page of a thread, and only 2 of them on topic... :D

17. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Looks like only the ozziers are up this late- and it is hardly late! What the heck is "The Gong" Chundles- is that a real place name, or an ozi-ism like Barbie?

COuple years ago, I happened on down to the Cooks- had the time of my life. Tons of Ozzies and Kiwis, all having good natured fun making fun of each other. I remember one morning about 3 AM, and our resident loud ozzie was singing in the streets, and loosing his rather late dinner on the side of our bus, because, yes, we were still drinking at 3 AM. Best time of my life- you down-unders sure know how to have fun. ACn't wait to get down there again!

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's "Aussie" not "Ozzie" although the pronunciation is the same. It's mid-afternoon on Saturday here so we're all awake.

The Gong is the town of Wollongong, an hour and a quarter south of Sydney.

3AM is a soft time to stop drinking - 3AM should be when you consider pushing onto your third day of drinking. Your Aussie friend was obviously weak...:D

19. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Aussie vs Ozzie- I am sure you are right... but you do say you are from Oz, don't you? Or is it "Aus"?:D

I figured he was kinda weak- loosing the cookies at ONLY 3 am. The Cooks were such a blast- if you can, you should get up there- they are good people there, too!

While there, it was funny- the Kiwi's were drinking Fosters, and the Ausies Steinlager... but never in fromt of each other!