noob question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk3pt1c, Feb 11, 2006.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

ok,i know this may sound stupid to some of you,but i just gotta know

why are there same named folders with different stuff inside on my home and my hard drive icons on the finder?

example, i have a library on my home and another library on the hard drive,which i assume is the / on unix. some files are the same but the /library has more than my home.
    i just came upon this trying to remove some software and in addition to removing it from the applications i had to remove stuff from both libraries.
    shouldn't the home one inherit and extend the / library?
    so if i delete something in the home it gets deleted in the / as well?
    or do i have to delete both as a security measure?
    i still don't get why duplicate files though?
    anyone?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You kind of have it, there is your home version of those folders that gets checked first, then a systemwide version that serves as a default.

Apart from defaults that are used when you run stuff under a new user account, there can be some duplication if you choose to install a program just for one user instead of systemwide. Not all installers offer that choice, but many do. Another place where this can happen is with fonts, different users will have different sets active.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

they are what they are :)

OS X puts things where it needs them to be for the OS to work as designed. If you start monkeying around with certain items/folders, you could fubar your install and end up with a non-booting OS :p

best to just leave things alone, unless you are 100% certain of what you are doing.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Most definitely not. The Library at / level is the one for the full system and all users on it. the Library at ~/ is the User Library. If you're not the only user on the Mac, then deleting it from both automatically would mean that any other user who still wanted to use the app wouldn't be able to.

Incidentally, I wouldn't worry too much about random pref files being in your various Libraries. They're not taking up much space, they're not going to interfere with anything else and should you decide to reinstall the app in the future, your accounts/prefs will be set up.

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c