Noobie Network problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Sabenth, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Hi guys ive just got an old i mac g3 400 Runing mac osx 10.2.6 i am having a prob trying to get my i mac to connect to my pc running windows xp first things first ive connected the card to the pc correctly ive pluged the netowork cable into the i mac and the pc and all seems fine just that they wont find each other ive only had the i mac for just under 6 hours so any help would be a great help.....in trying to get this network running iam also finding it dffclt to find were things go and such like when you down load items any recomended ways of keeping the system cluter free... thanks

Sabenth

p.s even though i dont know how to use a mac properly iam taking hesitated geusses here and can i just say that this is by far the most informed os i have used again i ve never had a mac before and can safly say that i wont be going back to windows to much as iam only using the windows box as a huge hardrive for the moment this i mac only has 6 gig on it and ive used 4 gig on it with software that i got with it....

thanks Sabenth

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

networking

What exactly do you want to do with your network? File Sharing? Network drive mounting? Internet routing/sharing? Do you have a internet connection? HighSpeed? Do you have a router?

What kind of cable are you using to connect your Mac and your PC? Standard CAT5 or a CAT5 Cross-over cable? You need a cross-over cable to do what I think your doing.

-evildead

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

have you turned on file sharing yet? this feature can be found under the apple menu>system preferences ... then click sharing and you will be brought to the sharing pane wherein you may check the box "windows sharing"...also make sure that your windows computer is allowing network sharing...

4. Sabenth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Hi guys ive got a standard dial up conection have to barewith me networks and macs are both a new concept too me ive had windows machines but never networked them before its a simple plug in cable sitaution here no routers or figmebobs or other tackle happy gear i trying to connect both computers so i can chat to one computer and also share the net..

Ive followed the book that i have and it still hanst helped me.. any ideas

host not found

is what it keeps sayinb but when i look a the network setings everything seems ok

tells me that info is been sent...

thanKS Sabenth

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

settings

Post your network settings for each of the systems here so we can help.

Are you using a cross-over cable?

What Windows OS are you running?

If you want to share the interenet you will have to set one of your computers up as a router. XP has a fairly simple network wizard for doing it. It's easy on a OS X as well.