Noobish, I know, but I need some help... (self hosted site outside LAN))

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by TheAppleDragon, Mar 2, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I'm using Lion server.

Call me a noob if you will, but I just can't get my self hosted site to work outside my LAN.

How do I set it up so that others can access it from my co.cc domain?

It's being stored in the WebServer folder I believe, and fed from the .local domain.

Thanks...

2. macrumors 6502a

iDisk

welcome to the forums n00bee

3. macrumors member

This could be as simple as setting up port forwarding on your modem/router or as complex as setting up routing on your network. It depends on your situation with your connection to the outside world.

I suppose a few more details for specific help would be required. Do you want it visible to the outside world, or just another subnet that you are connected to? Are you on a corporate network, or a small network with a basic ISP modem/router that you have access to?

Edit: Do you want to publish it to a hosted co.cc domain, or host it on your own server?

4. thread starter macrumors member

I would prefer to have it accessible by everyone, though I plan to only let a few people know the link to it.
    I'm on a private LAN, nothing fancy or related to business or others aside from myself really.

I was told that I had to get an external domain for it to work, and I'd like to use that in the link.

I checked my 2WIRE and it said that Mac OS X server is already being forwarded, yet when I switch to a nearby separate LAN I am unable to get it to work.

Thanks again. :)

5. macrumors G5

Consultant

Point domain to your DNS server / server IP.

Port forward IP to machine.