Nooo! A switcher of the bad kind! ;-(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Josias, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Well, my bigbrother got his first Mac 2.5 years ago. A 1.07 GHz 14" iBook G4 with 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD and AirPort running Panther. Though it may be a while before he gets a new computer, he considered switching back to Windows. Don't mistake him, he loves Mac OS X and Apple, and was the man who made me switch.:D , but he loves playing games - mostly old games. He has a lot of old windows games, and though he is aware that Intel Macs can run Windows natively, he is insecure about the stability about BootCamp and Windows running on Macs. I am aware about the fact that Microsoft used a MacBook Pro to demo Vista, but I gotta ask you, how can I further convince him about the stability of BC. He wants to "triple-boot" with both Mac OS X,
    Windows XP and '98. Can he dual boot with an XP machine, so he gets both XP and '98. The reason he wants '98 is hames like GTA2 and older games that don't run in XP. Believe me, he is not stupid, and knows alot about computers, but I don't know why he wanna switch, and that would really sock, so if you could give me advice on making him stick with Mac, thanks a lot.:)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

98 would work best in Parrellells I'm sure that would be able to handle w98 games, though I have certainly played GTA2 on XP and it ran fine.

You need to remember that an intel mac with boot-camp is exactly like running windows on a normal PC. (Except you loose some functionality eg the webcam, bluetooth, but those aren't needed for gaming)

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Bootcamp only works with Windows XP SP2 (and with some extra work, Vista beta). Windows 98 will run in Parallels, but not using BootCamp.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IMHO if he really wants to run 98 he should pick up a cheap older PC or similar vintage to the games he wants to run. And run XP and OS X on an intel Mac.

98 generally won't run well on modern hardware since it doesn't support a lot of the newfangled hardware USB2.0, etc... and drivers aren't always available for the hardware you've got. By the time you're done, you might as well be running it on Parallels since you don't have accelerated video, etc...

B

5. Timepass macrumors 65816

Anything made after 2003 hardware wise is not goign to have drivers for it because that was when everyone drop supporting all the Win 9.x line.

6. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

7. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Actually, you can play GTA2 on XP instead of 98'. I remembered somewhere where you can set the game to play in 98' mode instead of XP mode. Do you know what I mean? I installed this game, Total Annihilation, and it didn't work on XP so I had to change the mode to 98 and it work just fine but the sound is creepy though.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

I agree, that would sock.

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

First off, stress to him that everything is the same hardware. Second off, stress to him that Boot Camp is merely used at the very beginning to get XP to run in EFI by emulating BIOS. It sounds like your brother is under the impression that Boot Camp is an emulator, which it isn't. Also, running older games can be done in XP by enabling compatibility.

All he has to do is install the game, then on the icon on the desktop right click, go to properties, click on the tab for compatibility, and under compatibility mode select Run thsi program in compatibility mode for Windows 98. ;)

10. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

get an old compaq or something to run 98' on. running 98' on a macbook is not a good idea and will most likely bring your system to a crawl.

11. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

You're right.

To the OP, tell him to right click on the .exe file for the game, switch to the "compatibility" tab, check Run This Program in Compatibility mode, and select Win 98.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Bootcamp does not do the emulating. EFI has compatibility mode, which was disabled until they released a firmware update that happened to come out at the same time. All Bootcamp does is give you the drivers and change the partitioning. You can install windows without bootcamp if you wanted.

13. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

Total sockage.

14. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

A Macbook should work just fine for him. He will have ways of playing all his Win98 games with either:

- Win98 compatibility mode in WinXP (as described by the others)
    - Win98 in Parallels in OS X
    - Win98 in vmware in WinXP

The next version of vmware is even rumoured to have reasonable 3D acceleration, but it's not like he's going to need that for games that only run on Win98, anyway.

15. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Allright, so I got the '98 part, that the games will work in XP (he'll find out, there's just no Windows in his house. Last time he touched a Windows was a year ago).

I just gotta ask, since BottCamp is still a Beta, is it reliable. It says it is not Covered by Warranty or AppleCare.:eek: Is there any chance it will crack up? Has such a thing happened before. Don't worry about my brother, he can install it correctly and stuff, but he is doubting the reliabilty of BootCamp. Tell me, is it stable, is it secure?

BTW, that "sock" remark, it was merely not to turn it into four tiny stars, like so: ****.:D

16. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Just because it is a Beta does not mean it has problems. From what I have heard is that it is fine.(remember it does not run within windows so once its done its job you don't need it again) There has been a few people that have had problems but they are the minority. I think the Macbook is still his best option.(other then getting a old PC from ebay)

17. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Ok, I think a 1.83 GHz MB with 1 GB RAM will be fine for him. He won't need 2 GB RAM, since the most graphically advanced game he's playing is Prosche 2000:p , and since he's doing fine with a 40 GB harddrive now, he should be fine with the basic 60 GB.;) BootCamp is free, and he already has a XP Professional SP1. Will SP1 work in BC? Or is it fine?:confused: :D

18. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

old games as in.. DOS games? Check out DosBox :)

19. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

We had that on our 1 GHz Windows Box, worked fine. But my question is now, will XP Service Pack 1 work in Boot Camp? We don't want to buy (*cough* torrent *cough*) another version of Windows XP...:D

20. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

IIRC Windows XP SP1 doesn't have drivers for SATA drives and some other things required for installation.
    And the Apple drivers are for Windows XP SP2, and you need those to work most of the hardware.

22. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

23. simply258 macrumors regular

24. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias