NOOOOOO! ibook slot-load drive not working HELP!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Macmadant, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    this morning i took my ibook to a reletives in a secure bag and opened it up there turned it on, and heard this ticking noise from the optical drive then the cd i had in there ejected, i then put it back in, for about 2 minutes it kept ticking and sounded like it was reading the cd, but then it ejected it again it has been doing this all day somebody help , ibook g4 14" 1ghz, i don't want to open it up for nothing is it broke :confused:
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Try another CD. I just recently had my Panther CD go bad and it was doing the same thing in my drive.
  3. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    i have tried multiple cds it was working fine until i moved it in a laptop bag
  4. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I guess you could try resetting the PRAM and the PMU, however the clicking noise really implies it's something hardware-related. Sorry, but I reckon this'd be a job for AppleCare, or at least a certified technician. :)

Of course, here's a guide on how to replace it yourself if you're interested. :)
  6. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    The symptoms you describe are common when a super drive dies. I doubt that putting the laptop in a case had anything to do with it.

Try resetting the PMU. But it is not uncommon for superdrives to die after a couple of years. Replacing the drive is not a difficult job.