normal optical behavior

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dorqiekat, Jan 17, 2007.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    After getting my 12 inch 1.33 ghz powerbook serviced for a HD and optical drive repair, the laptop came back with a louder than ever optical drive. It made such a loud whirring noise when inserting the disk that I took it back. The mac genius heard the whirr and immediately said that it was a crappy drive and took it back for a repair. I just got it back today and there is no change, it's exactly the same as I left it. My old optical drive didn't sound like this and my roommate's ibook is also very quiet. Still, is this normal noise though? I mean, I'm guessing that not all drives are quiet... I don't have apple care, so I had to pay for the first repair and I have 90 days until the warranty runs out on this "new" optical drive.

What should I do? Other than the whirring noise, there isn't anything wrong with it... So far, anyway. Should I just stick with it?
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Take it back again if you have 90 days!
  3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    I'm actually wondering if they did anything at all? I mean, maybe they just listened to it and thought it was good enough...

I don't know. I guess I'll have to take it back within 90 days, maybe a long weekend when I'm not in school.

Another question I do have is, how loud is YOUR powerbooks?