North Carolina and unmarried couples

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, May 10, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Many of us think that obscure laws mandating centuries old morality are just curious relics of the past. Think again.

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well, one of the 10% of ACLU cases that make sense. Why didn't they go after these old laws all over the country decades ago?

This stuff was local news last night, I laughed big.

Link

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

PART 2

EVEN BIGGER AND BETTER LINK

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Here, in Richmond-upon-Thames, you are not allowed to "molest fish". I'm not sure I'd know how. :confused:

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

In Massachusetts, there was a law that made it legal to shoot a Rhode Islander crossing the border. It was leftover from when RI's founder ditched those puritans and moved south so he could drink beer on Sunday when he watched the Pats game.

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

After looking over Stubeefs list, I'm looking at close to life in prison. :D

BTW, a few years back, some guy was prosecuted for swearing in front of women and children. I think they changed the law, but I'm not sure.

7. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

stubeeef, I think you missed the point of the thread. As hilarious as some of these laws are, this one is being enforced. How would you like to have to conform to someone else's dictates about being married or lose your job. All the sudden it isn't so funny any more.

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

From my first post!

Most would read that I had agreed with you, but there is the quote to help.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Why would the ACLU want to go after ancient laws that weren't being enforced?

10. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

And then you posted an extensive list of laws that, while hilarious, are not being enforced. The difference is the point of the thread.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know what raises my curiosity about such things, but I decided to check on the validity of some of the "ridiculous law" claims. Here's the results of the first three I looked up:

With that, I'm going to bed. I'm pretty sure that's perfectly legal -- where I live anyway.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Let me make my point very clear, the first post is of a circumstance that is silly. There should not have been and should not be in the future, prosecution for that silly law. Furthermore, in the long laundry list of laws posted, most, except maybe the Zion Ill law -"In Zion, Illinois, it is illegal for anyone to give cats, dogs, or other domesticated animals a lighted cigar." - should also NOT be enforced. Laws should not be randomly enforced as in the first thread, an obvious enforcement to spite the employee, and is not part of a state wide search and destroy mission to find and prosecute all co-inhabitors.
    Link

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My point is, not only are these other laws not enforced, most of them probably don't even exist. They are urban legends -- so their appearance in this discussion is about as irrelevant and irrelevant can be.