North Korea Pledges to Give Up Nuclear Weapons Program

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mac-er, Sep 18, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

About 12:45 AM Eastern, CNN is reporting that North Korea will abandon its nuclear program.

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That's awesome. A step towards stability in Asia is a big bonus. It was bound to happen as China was pressuring them as well.

3. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Their web team must be alseep because they haven't updated that yet.

4. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Also, North Korea agrees to stop being communist.

I give them six months before they start up again. The North Korean government is crazy.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

North Korea Pledges to Give Up Nuclear Weapons Program

link

6. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Wow, that's great news!

I feel odd though - I've become such a cynical guy the past few years, that I'm trying to read bewtween the lines to find a catch.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Of course, this is what they are saying, not necessarily what they are doing...

8. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

It seems hopeful.
    Let's all hope for peace in the world. :)

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

well i hope the mean it

this goes to show you this is what we could have done in iraq to get rid of those WMD( thats were not there)

10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

oh you realist.. :p Nah, it's possible. I mean it wont happen overnight, but i can see drastic changes coming to N. Korea...Maybe Kimmie baby's getting more peaceful in his old age :) .

11. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

You assume they really stopped...

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I was gonna say, I assume there will be provisions for someone to monitor their activity... and let's not forget that they might have just dug a deeper cave somewhere else in order to continue their activity.

I wouldn't trust Kim Jong-Il any further than I could throw his big fat ass. "Hans Brix! Hans Brix!"

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm afraid I'm looking for the catch too... I can't imagine the original Dear Leader thinks the US is in a stronger position now than we were two years ago. So why the renewed interest in multi-party talks? Hiding something are we?

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This deal looks strangely similar to the one worked out by the Clinton Administration, the one North Korea abandoned when it suited their interests. The key as always is verifiability. Maybe more has been accomplished on this score than previously, but that certainly remains to be seen.

I'll admit to being a little suspicious of the timing of this announcement, which seems to come at the very moment when Bush needs a victory of some kind, any kind. If this agreement turns out to be a half-baked half-measure, then I think we'll know how and why it came to be.

15. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

NK are total liars, they lied to Clinton and now they have lied to Bush...

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I was going to say, they have played past administrations and im sure they are keeping a eye on the fact Bush will be gone in 3 years. I wonder if this agreement is worth the paper its printed on? they arent trustworthy but after 5 years of Bush and Congress i could say the same about them.

Its a good first step lets hope its true and not spin from the North Koreans.

17. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

I think we should all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya"

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Off topic - Happy belated birthday mac. I just checked your post count(!) and saw that our birthdays are one day apart.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Thank you sir! Hope yours was enjoyable as well. I had quite a headache the morning after mine...

20. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the continued financial success of China, which NKorea looks up to, literally. If Kim can get economic benefits packages for being a good boy and taking down his reactors, he can turn his whole country around financially in just a few years-much like what China has accomplished.

After all these years, world leaders may finally realize that money does in fact makes the world go 'round.

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Shades of Neville Chamberlain! Appeasement! Appeasement!

OK, not really, but I just had to say it because none of the folks we both were arguing with last year are going to dare say anything against this with Bush's signature on it. This looks exactly like what the Clinton administration worked out and was torpedoed by the GOP Congress for "appeasing" the North Koreans. Maybe someone in the administration figured out that they can't really invade North Korea right now, so just maybe a deal they could have had two or three years ago might be a better alternative to letting Kim continue building nuclear weapons.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well it does seem to be a downright Clintonian agreement. It even seems to include a promise to discuss providing North Korea with light water reactors. Mark one in the loss column for the neocons!

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Put me down as suspicious as everyone else. Good news like this, while appreciated, doesn't come for no reason...certainly not out of the sudden beneficence of Kim Jong-il.