North Korea Tests a Nuclear Weapon?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is scary as hell. Now tell me why we invaded a country, stretching our military to its breaking point, that did not have nuclear weapons while ignoring the threat of the very real expansion of this capability to the hands of one of the world's worst leaders? Does Bush now compound this folly by a military strike?

AP

Probably should have posted this in the previous thread but I thought the shocking nature of the story deserved its own title.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yikes.

you know, i'm planning a vacation to seoul, hiroshima and kyoto in the end of october / beginning of november timeframe. i'll be visiting some prime NK nuclear targets just in time for US elections.

or maybe there'll be some US military activity going on before i can even get there. oy ve.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Colin Powell says this wasn't a nuclear test, but nobody seems to know what it was. That, I find hard to believe. Uncertainly just doesn't cut it.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is anyone else of the opinion that NK testing a nuke before the election would be somewhat disasterous for the bush campaign?

i'm not surprised that:
    1) this hasn't received more media attention, and
    2) the powell denies it's a nuke

...not saying it _was_, just saying there's motivation here...

6. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I found Powell's remarks peculiar. How is it that nobody knows what it is, but he's already dismissed that it was a nuclear weapon? Because of that, my gut reaction was that the US nuked them (though I don't think so anymore).

7. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Not considering that polls think Bush would make a better war time President than Kerry would.

Maybe its a MOAB?

8. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Maybe it is the same mystery that hit Siberia long time ago (I though early fifties)

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Most reports I've seen seem to point towards an accident. It looks to me like one of North Korea's giant underground missile storage facilities detonated.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Without saying too much. We can determine whether a detonation is of a nuclear type by things in space that are in orbit ;)

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm lets wait a few days..if it was an atomic bomb testing it will be across all news sites tv channels.. untill now it's just a big explosion

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A nuke on China's border? That would be one simple step to Armageddon.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

FWIW, I'm pretty sure we've got reliable intel satellites that can detect a nuclear explosion anywhere on earth, and I'm sure it's done using a nuke's unique EMP/radiation signature.

We used to play the voyer when the Soviets would test their toys.

So it's not out of the realm of reason for us to immediately say "it wasn't a nuclear explosion that we could detect."

Now the question is, if not a nuke, what was it?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i suspect it was either an accident or a test of some kind of non-nuke explosive. anyone here familiar w/ nuclear technology? how big must the conventional explosive to start a chain reaction be?

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It needn't be very big at all if engineered well. As you may know, we developed artillery-fired nukes that weighed as little as 70 lbs.

Less technical designs would dictate roughly half a ton of plastique, I'd say. Ever see the Fat Man and Little Boy bomb casings on display in the Smithsonian? They're much smaller than you'd think.

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Well, if it was a nuke, China, Russia, South Korea, Britain, the U.S., the USGS, the IAEA and a slew of others would have known it was nuclear the instant of detonation, there are more than enough terrestrial and orbital sensors designed specifically for this. Heck! These guys even measure and catalog hospitals for the radiation involved with X-Raying patients!

The conpiracy-theorist in me then says, if it was indeed nuclear, all of these parties would be colluding together, and I just don't see being able to keep that a secret - too many eyes.

What I find distressing, is that if North Korea was planning to 'detonate a mountain for a hydroelectric project', that they didn't inform everybody that it was coming so that everybody would sit here wondering - burning scientific and diplomatic time - as a result.

Damn short-sighted if you ask me.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well the North Koreans are now saying they were demolitions in connection with the construction of a hydroelectric project. Everybody who believes that, please raise your hands...