Northeast Wintry Mess

Discussion in 'Community' started by wrldwzrd89, Dec 5, 2003.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Today, tomorrow, and Sunday (5/5, 5/6, and 5/7/2003) a major winter storm is expected to move through, affecting Illinois and Indiana in the morning and Ohio north to Maine, east to Virginia, and south to Tennessee all day. The storm is expected to produce moderate E winds, periodic heavy snowfall, and snow accumulations of 3 to 12 inches, depending on how far northeast you live. In southern areas like Virginia, West Virginia, and Tennessee, a wintry mix or ice is expected. Drive carefully!

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

As strange as it may sound, I miss winter storms.

I used to live in Boston, and we sometimes got real big blizzards. It was fun to sit at home and just watch it snow. It's one of the things I miss since moving here- that and having a white christmas.

I agree though, drive safely.

3. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i'm there now..we got a huge storm earlier this year; even got a day off from work b/c of it!

as for this storm, i'm glad it's happening now, as i'm flying to DC next week. get the wind and snow over with now! :)

4. iGav macrumors G3

Snow.... I love Snow.... :D please send some our way, as much as you can spare... 2ft would do nicely ;)

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

a little snow last night, now its just rainy and nasty here in DC. But everyone is treating it like a big deal - no one really knows how to handle snow and ice here, its sad.

Growing up in Connecticut, I've had my share of nice snowy winters....don't know if I'd ever want to live anywhere that didn't have distinct seasons (at least snow in the winter....) :D

D

6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I only had work cancelled once because of snow; I moved here right after college.

I was in the Brookline, MA school system- what a bunch of punks. It'd have to snow like 6 feet before they'd even think about cancelling school .. but when they did it was great :D Our school system went 6 years straight without a snow day- it was a record for Mass. I think.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You guys in the east think you have it bad? Well, it's raining here in California right now. Now that's a travesty! :p

8. iGav macrumors G3

you're kidding??? I thought D.C. got tonnes of the stuff every year? like NYC... I saw NY on the news earlier this year and the Hudson looked like the Artic... most exciting! Actually you guys in D.C. had an Alp load earlier this year didn't you??

Sounds like the U.K. though, we get 1cm of the cold stuff, and EVERYTHING grinds to a halt, trains, motorways, pavements, electricity companies.... infact the only thing that stays open are pubs.... I remember living in Yorkshire (Northern England) and this one evening we must have had about a foot of the stuff, incredible, never seen snow like it, so I walked down to the local, knowing it'd be open all night for travellers that got stuck and couldn't get back home... great fun, then went home about 8am the following morning.... and the funny thing was, the pub was only a 10 minute walk from my house, but I wanted to get into the spirit of things... heheheh ;) :p :p

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We get the Nor'easter every 5-8 years or so. Then its nuts 2+ feet and the whole city shuts down. We had a nice one last year :D

But the year before that we had almost nothing.

And I was a bit premature in my talk of the storm - it seems 40 miles from the city (well within the commuting range) they had 7 inches by this morning - and it looks like we might get a Nor'easter later tonight into tomorrow. If the temp stays low enough we might get a very rare December dump, something you only see once in several decades!:D!

And this is not good for me for reasons I'll go into later....

D

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

heh in Washington we have 2 seasons; Cold, and less cold :)

I am exagerrating but I dont think we have ever had a truly snow winter, well back in 1996 we had a snow storn of like 2feet :) that was fun ;)

11. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

man... you really don't get a lot of snow, do you? i grew up in Buffalo, NY which is sort of known for its snow. to me, a foot of snow is just what stays on the ground between storms. we used to have cold days -- the schools would shut down because it was so cold that it wasn't safe for little kids to wait at the bus stop.

and i went to college in CT, mr. anderson. i think some of those connecticut winters contributed to my decision to move to georgia after graduation.

anyway, i'm hoping the weather holds off this weekend... i've got a wedding to go to tomorrow with a lot of old friends, and i'd hate to miss them because they couldn't get into new york!

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The 1995-96 season was a record breaker for us here in Boston, we got about 105" of snow. The problem got to be where to put the snow. :p

We have a Winter Storm Warning for Friday evening through Sunday morning. It will be a slow moving Nor'Easter. They are predicting 6 - 12", it all depends on the track of the storm.

Right now it is partly sunny T 27 WC 24.

13. iGav macrumors G3

we don't sadly.... :( that said, it was a good foot in about 6ish hours, which is a serious rate for here..... never seen snow like it since. :(

when it does snow here, for some reason, the very next day, the big thaw begins and it turns to slush. :( and I hate slush.

to make matters worse, after experiencing the hottest summer on record this year, the saying goes that we'll get the opposite and have the worst winter too.... some chance... it was 15 degrees today, I was in a T-Shirt.... :rolleyes:

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well there's no rain yet on California's Central Coast area, but the surf is up, 8-11 feet. Great for the surfers for sure. Otherwise, it's about 60 degrees today.:D

15. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Crap! a Nor'easter? you're kidding. This is bad for me too...doesn't look like I'll be able to blow anyone off this weekend due to weather. 'Course, we had gotten a bit more than the predicted max of 4 inches by the time I stepped out my door this morning, so it would figure.

I'll do my best! :cool:

16. Dros macrumors 6502

I lived in Northern Virginia before being in the Midwest for a while. Even though the Midwest got tons of wind and snow, it was far easier driving there. In Virginia, the ice would be just at melting temp and much more slippery than the solidly frozen roads in the Midwest. Also, the roads were hilly and twisty and narrow in Virginia compared to the Midwest. But it is true that the drivers in Virginia would jam on the brakes when they hit an icy patch and go spinning, so they do get a bit of the blame!

17. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I'm envious. We had about 11 inches od snow come down the weekend before Thanksgiving, but nothing since. Much of the local economy depends on snow and the tourists it brings for snowmobiling.

The one thing we don't have however is ice, and for that I'm thankful.

18. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Nasty snow-sleet-rain cycle going on in Philly. Just leaves you wet and cold.

19. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Well I live in Upstate NY and we've yet to get a flake of this supposedly huge storm.

It was nice and sunny here this morning, now the clouds have moved in but no snow. I feel bad for my fiancee, tomorrow is her Bridal Shower and about 20 people from Long Island called today to say that they weren't going to come up for it. The kicker is that half of them own and SUV of some sort, yet they won't take it out in the snow.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

snow in nyc is ass

becomes slush immediately and makes it hard to walk around

having to dance off the curbs to avoid huge puddles

fun

21. blvdeast macrumors regular

I'm in north-east jersey, right by the hudson river. As of this morning, they said 2 inches today, and 2 tomorrow. Around 11 snow started, at 3 at least 5 inches came off my car. right now 7+. They declared a blizzard warning for all day tomorrow and in the end 18-24 inches. I'm in hell.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not missing Philly as much as usual right now, for some reason.

Still, I saw Rockefeller Center earlier and wouldn't mind seeing it all in person...next week. ;)

Stay safe! People are learning how to drive on the snow again.

23. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i've only been in my current apartment for 6 months, so i was unprepared to come home to a rather large and unfortunately placed snow drift. there's a nook of sorts around my front door, so all the snow just blew in and sat there. if this is what happens in one afternoon, i can't wait until we get some real snow. i'll have to dig my way out of the building.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Seriously. :D

Better than Buffalo where they should build the front door on the roof.

We even had snow flurries over at Cape Canaveral last February, but there was only rain today.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Currently here in Boston at 10pm the T 32 NW 22 WC 19. It has just started snowing with just a dusting at the moment.