Northern Ireland pact

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This falls under the "I didn't think I'd ever live to see it" category.

BBC

I'm still not convinced the delay to May, requested by the DUP, isn't just a ruse designed to give them time to stage a provocation. That's probably because Ian Paisley is one of my least favorite people, let alone politicians, worldwide. Still, it is very hopeful, and I'm hopeful the Irish people can make it to May 8th without more blood and chaos.

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Both sides of our community hope this will work :)

FJ

3. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm glad to see some Irish posters in the political forums. Welcome! I was worried when I posted this story that no one else was interested in what I thought at least was a very important story. Glad to see I was wrong.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

one doesn't need to be Irish to feel hopeful about this news

5. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I agree, which was one reason I posted the story in these forums. Not being a native of Ireland myself, I know there are at least some folks outside of Ireland who pay attention to developments there.

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I have to confess a sneaking suspicion that Paisley will engineer another filibuster, but this time I'm actually hopeful that he (and more importantly the DUP) is really engaged in the process, and we can finally make some progress on normalising relations between the camps.

There have been several false dawns in the last 40iih years though.