Northern Lights in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Community' started by AliensAreFuzzy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm here in Appleton, WI and I just saw the northern lights!
    It was really amazing.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Sounds interesting. I've never seen them in person - just in magazines - but how do they look? Like bright? or just a glow in the sky?

3. AliensAreFuzzy thread starter macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well here, it was kind of a fluctuating yellowish ribbon

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

It really is a cool thing to see. I too have seen them in Northern Wisconsin. We were only able to see them for a few mins, but it was pretty spectacular nontheless.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The Northern Lights seem pretty amazing. I also have only seem them in pictures and on TV. Did either one of you get any pictures?

6. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I also saw the Lights as I was heading across the state from Shawano to Menomonie tonight. That was supercool! I saw the bright band of greennish light, and a red haze to the western end of it. No camera=no pics :(

7. AliensAreFuzzy thread starter macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I don't have a camera that is good enough for that, so unfortunately I didn't get any pictures.

8. fugeelama macrumors member

fugeelama

My coworker pointed them out as I left work around 10pm from Waukesha.... they were bright enough to see as I drove down 94 towards the city. Now I'm home in West Allis and my roommate and I have been watching them for about two hours now! It's my first auroral show :) Like a pale (sometimes very bright, neon) green cloud across most of the sky, moving and shaping like a curtain or wave.

9. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

fun tale

was driving from Pittsburg to Chicago tonite-
    Saw the Northern Lights almost the whole way- (once we got out of CLeveland and it got dark enough)
    it was really cool

even when we drove an hour south of chicago we could STILL see them
    they were to the north, west, and east

totally awesome

really bright
    really cool

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I probably would have been able to see them here too, if it weren't for clouds and lots of light pollution from Providence, Pawtucket, and Attleborough. :mad:

11. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I thought this was going to be about something much different.

12. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I was able to see them here in central Minnesota. Just amazing. It looked like the lights were actually alive in the sky.

13. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

indeed. i saw them starting at around 5:45 down here in northfield and they were nice and green with a bit of yellow. moved around a lot in the sky. saw them the whole way up to minneapolis (was going to the guthrie). they were still out for the ride back until at least 11 (5 hours later!!). on the way back they were a lot thicker, but not really moving at all. the craziest part was how much of the sky they took up the whole time. they really stretched pretty much as far as you could see across.

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

I was able to see them last night, and I live just outside Chicago. I had never seen them before, but was watching the weather and the guy said they'd be quite visible due to increased solar flare activity.

When I first went out, I thought I was looking at a thin layer of clouds, but then they kept changing too quickly. It wasn't what I expected (not tons of color, probably due to all the ambient light), but very cool nonetheless.

15. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

I live in far southern Iowa in a very rural area so there's almost no light pollution. Last night I saw a distinct glow in the north quadrant of the sky. It was sort of pearly, but also sort of like an early predawn. No distinct shapes like the pictures I've seen and I imagine you get up north, but still sorta cool. This has happened a couple of other times over the years.

16. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I live up in Brainerd (about two hours north of the Twin Cities), and the lights looked like they were right above us. I've seen northern lights before, but never lights that looked that close to me.

As someone mentioned about increased solar activity, maybe we'll see some more tonight.

17. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Would you believe I saw them in New Jersey a couple of years ago? Faint and colorless, looking like an almost transparent sheet with vertical folds in it stretching across the horizon. One of those "WTF is that?" where you bring people out to look at it and everyone thinks it's weird but nobody knows what it is. I was proud that my present company didn't jump onto some UFO theory...

18. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've seen them in Alaska in the winter, great stuff - the different colors represent oxygen or nitrogen and the altitude they form - what colors did you see? Green is the most common, but you can get reds, violets and blue....

D