Norton Anti-virus 9.0 for OS 10.4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by etherburn2000, May 9, 2005.

1. etherburn2000 macrumors member

I know lots of users say that I don't need an anti-virus for the Mac but it came with the Symantec Anti-virus 9.0 now I get this error message everytime I start up my Powerbook. The error message says Norton Anti-virus Autoprotect could not continue Please reinstall Norton Anti-virus and restart. I did that and I also did an update but the same problem happens. Any ideas how to solve this probelm? :confused:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, your grammar is really difficult for me to understand, but this is what I got:

- You knew people think you don't need AV
    - You have Tiger on your computer
    - You installed Norton AV anyway

You are apparently unaware that:

- Norton AV is not compatible with Tiger
    - You knew people think you don't need AV

So...I think the solution would be, don't install Norton AV. :rolleyes:

See this: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2005032314263511

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well Norton should fix the problem but I read somewhere that they wont. Although this seems a little weird, I'd take this as an opportunity to get rid of it altogether. I ran Norton in Panther, but ditched it in Tiger and haven't looked back.

If Norton really wont update it, then there's no point in having it. If they do update it, reinstall it.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Can't you read? Symantec says that it is working on a fix. Believe it or not, if they release an update in the next two or three months, that will be progress. Symantec is notoriously slow to correct incompatibilities between its products and Apple software and file systems.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah sorry about that. You got it in one, I'm actually blind. :(

Help out a disadvantaged person and tell me where I can get braille evidence that Norton is fixing the problem? Thanks. :)

6. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Norton 10.0 is out. It'll "work" with Tiger.

Avoid Norton! If you must run AV software, use Virex. Norton and Mac OS's simply don't mix.

In fact, I'm the unofficial IT guy for a couple of Winblows machines - and they're having Norton AV issues, too.