norton leftovers

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by lemmon, Feb 16, 2003.

1. lemmon macrumors newbie

May 30, 2002
    i installed norton from my professor and decided that i really didn't like it. so i got rid of it, but i guess i didn't do it right, so now, whenever i first boot up, i get this warning.

and i don't how to get rid of it.
    can anyone help?
    (sorry about the download, i don't know how to post a picture)
  2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Why don't you'll specify what Norton product you use. Symantec sells things other than Norton Utilitites under the Norton product line. Norton AntiVirus and Norton Personal Firewall are good examples. That is sorta like saying I installed iApp on my computer. Sorry, stuff like that just bugs me.
  3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    If you still have access to the Norton CD, you could try opening the installer and seeing if there's an option for "uninstall." That should remove it properly. Or if you tried that, or if it doesn't work, then you could make your computer show all invisible files (using the TinkerTool program, for example), and look in your hard drive, system folder, etc. and delete all Norton-related files. Hope this helps.

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Re: norton leftovers

The install application should have an uninstall option in it, where you would normall be able to choose Custom Install you just choose Unintall. Under OS X you can't just drop the application in the trash. Also, that warning comes up with every little update to Mac OS X. Most of the time it is useless, but you could check with VersionTracker to make sure you have the latest version.
  5. chmorley macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agreed. Uninstall from the CD (no matter what Norton product it is).

I have to say, while I have been a big fan of Norton Utilities/Systemworks for Mac for a while, Systemworks 2.0 is one of the few things that has made my system unstable. It installs a kernel extension (.kext) that resulted in three kernel panics in 2 months. While this might be acceptable on a PC (or in OS <9.x), it is ridiculous in OS X. Unfortunately, many disk utilites seem to want a level of control that I am not willing to sacrifice.

My recommendation is boot from a CD and run utilities when you need to. I have been doing this for about the past year and have had almost no problems.

p.s., bad day, Felix?