Norton locks up intel mac w/ 10.4.6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imac abuser, May 13, 2006.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Hey, I was just trying to do my LIVE UPDATE on my norton, and it completely locked up my Intel iMac w/ 10.4.6 3 times! It pulls up the checking for updates thing, and that's it. What's wierd to me is it has been working just fine. But I just did the lastest security update from apple I wonder if that's what's chingering everything up. Anyone have any ideas?

Chris

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Don't know why it is locking up your system. You may want to try deleting its preferences.

That said, Norton products have had a history of causing problems on Mac OS X. Most people will tell you that you are probably better off completely removing it and going without AV than using Norton. So unless you are required to have it, I would recommend just trashing it.

You will get 20 posts telling you to do that with about 10 arguing that viruses may be a problem and that it is stupid advice to tell you to uninstall it. Make your own decision but there are currently no wild viruses for the Mac.

3. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Yeah, I know.... Can you tell me how to delete the preferences? I only choose to use it because it's an intel mac, and it's all new to all of us. I troubleshoot broadband support, and deal with spam proxy issues all day. So for me it's better safe then sorry. And when you spend $2,200 on a computer you don't want it jacked up from some crappy virus. I have had several macs, and trust in them but I just think of it as insurance....

Chris

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Whatever floats your boat, it really doesn't matter unless it starts giving you serous trouble.

To delete the preferences just look for anything Norton in the folder ~/Library/Preferences. ~ being your home folder incase you, or anyone, didn't know.