Norton Security for Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Antony52, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Antony52 macrumors member

Jul 24, 2003
    Since I am going to buy the Mac i was also thinking on buying Norton Security for Mac which has the firewall and Antivirus.Should I buy it or do you have a different opinion?
  2. pEZ macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin
    First of all, I would highly recommend that you DO NOT buy anything with the word "Norton" in the title - they were the gold standard on every OS prior to OS X - but on X it's just nasty - not very well integrated at all.

Second of all, viruses on a Mac are almost unheard of - antivirus software is very, very rarely needed, much less required.

Thirdly - Mac OS X has a built-in firewall for you to use, and it's really not too bad. But for extra firewall protection I would use a shareware app called BrickHouse - much cheaper than Norton, and would probably do a better job.
  3. Likvid macrumors member

Jul 20, 2003
    You guys run MacOSX and don't know how to use it as a Unix system.

As you have a Unix workstation at your hands you have tons of options in implementing a good firewall.

You guys are too dependent on the GUI, the power is not in GUI but in the CLI.;)
  4. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i woudlnt get it for many reasons. 1 dont worry about viruses on macs. 2. the firewall is built into mac os x,and mac os x is hard to crack. so unless you have pentagon files and someone who is breaking in to your computer for a reasons then i woudlnt worry. 3. if you have to have viruses protection software, just buy .mac, much better service and virex is updated monthly.

5. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    Never ever ever ever ever install anything "Norton" on your computer. It will bugger EVERYTHING up.

Personally, I think "Norton" means "a virus you pay for" in swahili. :rolleyes:
  6. pEZ macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin
    That is definitely true, and I take that as a compliment. I personally hate dabbling with anything involving a command line, as I have never had to use one, because I've been using apple computers since I was 5 years old.

I wouldn't use OS X if I wanted a command line interface - I'd use a Unix, Linux, or Windows machine where you almost get more done if you bypass the GUI.

I pride myself in knowing as much as humanly possible about OS X through the GUI, with a little bit of Unix knowledge on the side - I like to work (and do work) with beginners on the system. Doesn't make any sense to throw a ton of Unix jargon at them when everything a simple user needs is in the GUI.