Norton Speed Disk in OS9 with installation of OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by StevenFW, Feb 8, 2003.

1. StevenFW macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2002
    Looking for help on an issue that I don't see addressed:

Can you run Norton Speed Disk to defragment a hard drive under 9.22 with an OSX installation on the same volume (never partitoned, have 9.22, Jaguar 10.2.3 on board). I have been successful in the past when just 9, but I have not tried doing this since I installed OSX over a year ago. Now I know NU is compatible with HFS+, but I am concerned about something happening to OSX while Speed Disk is doing its business. I have a blue and white G3, NU version 5.0.3.

Thanks for the help!
  2. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    IMHO, I wouldn't run any of that Norton garbage on any computer. It's just asking for serious problems.

Just MHO from past experience.
  3. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    I defragged my OSX partition using Norton Utilities 6.0 recently(probably a STUPID thing to do, but it does work...) - and luckily it hasn't created any problems... touch wood.

But on the subject of defragmentation of the drive - is there a program out there that is reliable and recommended under OSX?

4. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    The only reliable defragmenter is a complete backup with Retrospect Express or Carbon Copy Cloner to an external Firewire hard disk, a reformat of the original drive, and then a copy back to the original. Norton makes such a mess of disk directories, I'd stay clear of it. For links to Carbon Copy Cloner and Retrospect Express, visit my FAQ: