Norton Systemworks 2.0 for X - Disasters?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sjs, May 24, 2002.

1. sjs macrumors 6502

In the first weeks after this product was released there were lots of accounts of Mac users having seriously bad results from trying to use this software. I just bought it and before I install it I was wondering if anyone has used it (for OSX)???

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I've used it, no harm done by it. It doesn't have speed disk when you install it under OS X, but you can run that when you boot from the cd under OS 9.x. If you just picked up a system, you might need to install it onto a cd that will boot it. Or you can move the OS Rom file from your system folder to a cd image of the NSW2 cd. That should allow you to boot from the cd.

3. sjs thread starter macrumors 6502

alphatech, thanks for the info. I only wish I understood it! That part about Speed Disk and booting from a cd, could you spare the time to explain exactly how to that? (you normally get paid for this...the check's in the mail) javascript:smilie(';)')

PS I don't even know how to post a smilie javascript:smilie(':(')

4. sjs thread starter macrumors 6502

alphatech...thanks again. Install and cleanup went well and I even figured out how to "start up from cd", etc. We were badly fragmented. Running smoother now.

5. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Norton Systemworks

I haven't had problems, really. I had my first kernel panic within about 2 weeks of installing it, though. I had four in about 6 weeks, and decided to get rid of Systemworks and only boot from the CD. My kernel panics have gone away.

Stuff like this is so idiosyncratic, though. It could be that Systemworks is doing everything right and I have some offending piece of shareware conflicting with it. I still find it an indispensible piece of software--I just now only boot from the CD to fix stuff. I don't have active virus protection, but I have had one virus in the last 12 years on my Mac. I am not all that worried.

Chris

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

chmorley, I have NAV 8 installed on my system and wouldn't have a computer without NAV installed. It's not so much as me getting a virus that effects my computer as being a transmitter of the virus to other people. I would suggest installing just NAV if you don't want all of NSW on your system. That way, you don't become a carrier for the virus, and give it to other people.

7. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

NAV

I'm willing to give it a try. I'm with you on the virus thing, to a degree. I am a bit concerned that my kernel panics were related to NAV, since they started agter I installed it and stopped after I got rid of it. Are you aware of any conflicts? Also, have you ever gotten a virus on your Mac (or had NAV prevent you from getting one)?

Chris

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i think the BIG problem people have with norton on osx, is they run disk doctor on their osx disk. this is a big no no. norton IS NOT made to work with osx. Seems like speed disk doesnt do any harm, but dosk doctor will seriously mess things up because everything in norton assumes it is working on os9. hopefully norton will update their software soon and give us real osx support. i woudl love to see what speed disk designed for osx could do. Drive 10 (by the TechTool guys) is the only (nonshareware) osx utility.

also whether running utilities on 9 or x you NEVER install the software on your system. you ALWAYS boot from the disk. what this means is instead of booting from your hard drive you boot from the system folder on the cd. there are several ways to do this but the easiest is to insert the cd and restart while holding down the "C" key on your keyboard (if you have a old machine the key combo is different). you then run the applications from inside the cd. this is basically like if you are fixing a car you dont want to be fixing it while the car is driving down the street. since your computer is running off the cd you are free to work on the hard drive and system folder since they arent in use. This is how you should run all your utilities (Norton, TechTool, Drive 10, Disk Warrior, etc).

Now if you want to get fancy and you have a cd burner or ipod you can install a system folder onto the cd or ipod and then install all the utilities on that. this means you can have an uptodate copy of all the utilities and they are all together in one place. (you can use disk copy to do this for the cd). for the iPod you can even make an osx version (you cant install osx on a cd without a small little app called bootcd made by the guy who made dockdisks look for it at version tracker).

9. sjs thread starter macrumors 6502

also whether running utilities on 9 or x you NEVER install the software on your system. you ALWAYS boot from the disk. what this means is instead of booting from your hard drive you boot from the system folder on the cd.

I ran several of the functions from the cd in os9.
    However, following the instructions in the book I then installed Norton Systemworks 2.0. Are you suggesting that I should uninstall it?

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Lemon, I don't know which copy of NSW you are using, but I have NEVER had an issue running disk doctor onto an OS X disk/drive. I do mean NEVER! I have been running OS X since to went non-beta and have run NUM on it a few times (booting from the utility cd that I created) and, again, NEVER had it cause ANY problems for OS X (or OS 9 for that matter).

As for OS X support from NUM, NSW2 has it. The only thing missing from the utility is speed disk, but you can boot from the cd to do that part.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'll have to side with Alpha on NSW....

I am still running NSW 1.0...and it works perfectly for both 9 & X...

to be completely honest....OS X improved in performance after running NSW on it...