Norton SystemWorks 2 now available

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AlphaTech, Feb 20, 2002.

1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

This just in...

SystemWorks 2 is available, as well as NUM 7 and NAV 8 for both OS 9.x and 10.1.

What's new in this version:

* Provides native support for Mac OS X

Ê
    Product Description:
    Norton SystemWorks for Macintosh 2.0 is the smartest way to keep your Mac® at its best. This essential suite gives you five leading utility products in one convenient package-and they're all compatible with Mac OS X. Norton Utilities™ helps you repair and optimize disks and prevent future problems. Norton AntiVirus™ automatically finds and repairs infected files. Dantz Retrospect® Express Backup copies files to a wide range of removable media. A special edition of Alsoft DiskWarrior® helps you recover data in emergencies. And Aladdin Spring Cleaning® safely removes old software. Buy Norton SystemWorks today to protect your Macintosh from viruses and keep it running at peak performance.

I am about to order up my update...

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

norton sucks I'm waiting for
    Techtool Pro for OS X
    I know they have Drive 10
    but its no where near Techtool

3. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have found that using Norton along with Diskwarrior2 and TechToolPro 3.x fixes about 99% of all software issues. The only thing they can't fix is extension conflicts. Those you need to take care of yourself.

I have been using that combination for the past 2+ years on over 250 systems. Granted Norton does have some weak points, but then so do all the others. We never let TechTool Pro optimize or run a surface scan, and I have to disable other parts of the tests. We pretty much let DiskWarrior do it's thing (we run that first).

Also, we NEVER install Norton Utilities onto a system... never, ever, ever. It is ALWAYS run off a bootable cd (I make them using the latest OS installer that comes with computers). I have seen Norton's crashguard bring a system to it's knees faster then a coke spilled into the keyboard. The ONLY Norton/Symantec product that gets installed onto our systems is NAV.

4. Robby macrumors newbie

You never run norton utilities from your system? I suppose that sounds like a good idea but how do you make an OS X bootable CD? Whenever I try to boot up through the CD that came with my computer I am not able to run any programs.

5. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Some more 411

Ok, here it comes...

The last cd I made was based of the OS installer that came with a Quicksilver Mac (OS 9.2.1 at the time). I made a copy of that with Disk Copy, making sure that I could read/write to the image. I then pulled the items I wanted from the last cd I built (I keep the previous image until I am 100% sure the new one works). That includes all the preferences, extensions and such that the software needs. I even put some aliases into the Apple Menu Items on the cd (makes changing screen resolution a snap, as well as the startup disk). I then also put some small third party utilities (cloak for one) onto the cd. I make a read me file about the changes to the current cd, along with all the previous ones, onto the cd near the top. That allows all the other tech's (3 others) to see what I have changed.

This way, I can boot the very newest G4 system, all the way down to the oldest G3 system (and some older systems too) from the cd and run all the utilities.

If the person is running OS X, which no one is at the company yet (besides me), then I just put the cd in, and select it as the startup disk from the system preferences. I haven't experimented yet with the OS X installer cd just yet, since I don't really need to. Once I get NSW2, I might see about using that as a base, and installing other OSX native utilities onto it as well.

I will let everyone know if that works, when I get to the project.

I have gotten to the point, where I can create a new cd, test it, and burn enough copies for all of us in less then a half day. Considering how much time, and how many systems this has saved, it is time well spent. :D