norton utilities

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acdcno1, Feb 3, 2005.

1. acdcno1 macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2005
    Has anyone else had problems with this? I cant scan using the disc doctor as it stops during the process. It asks to reboot from CD but it wont. Symantec? havent been to helpful in regard to replacing the CD. There is a number to call for USand Canadian residents and the rest of us have to call a local dealer. Problem is I live in Japan and my local dealer has Japanese software.
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Take your Norton Utilities and deposit in the trash can.
  3. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    I'll second that. Run, don't walk, to the trash can.

Norton stuff for OSX is cr@p. All of it.
  4. jaromski macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2004
    i concur, to simplify the process learn the quickkey for deleting tripe off your system.

1. select norton folder
    2. press apple-delete

malware un-installed.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't think you should throw your Norton disk away. Instead you should shred it. That way nobody else finds it and tries to use it.

What's wrong with your Mac that you were trying to fix with Norton? I'm sure we can suggest a good way to do it.
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    1. grab Norton Utilities Disk

2. face desk and put the Norton Utilities Disk in your hand.

3. Hold the Norton Utilities Disk to the back of your head

4. slam the Norton Utilities Disk onto the desk.

5. keep repeating 4 until the disk breaks, or the silly idea of using Norton is beaten out of you skull.

Note: your head should still be between the disk and the desk when you try slamming the disk onto the desk.

Norton Stopped supporting Norton Utilities a long time ago, since the application is no longer supported -- it won't work on any machine released after the last Norton Utilities update.

Since the software isn't updated for you machine, do you really want it used on it.

However, if you are really set on destroying all the data on your drive you'll need to run Norton from another drive or partition -- since it really doesn't work on the drive/partition is started on.

Just install on an external drive with an OS, boot from that drive (set start-up drive) and you should be able to run Norton.

Once you get it running Norton should be able to vaporize all your data on the main drive -- people usually are able to do this with Speed Disk or Repairing the drive, both work just as well.
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Don't you need the Norton disk to uninstall the utilities?? :confused: :confused:
  8. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
  9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    So MacRumorites, tell us how you really feel about Norton....

However, acdcno1, are you using this on an OS9 machine or OSX?
    Norton is a real problem on OSX (including but not limited to destruction of the data on your drive, so do not attempt to use it) but it still has some capabilities on OS9.

Obviously, if you have upgraded to an OSX only machine you won't be able to use a Norton OS9 boot disk.

As far as getting a replacement CD, Symantec should be able to supply a replacement for a nominal charge plus shipping. If you have to, get a friend in the States to acquire it from Symantec in the US and mail it to you.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You might need it in theory, but the inevitable reformatting of the drive will uninstall the utilities quite effectively.
  11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Oh, it messed his drive? Didn't see that. Just saw all the "blow up the disk" posts and thought I might warn about that... but reformatting is a great way of erasing a disk. I erase (what few) floppies I have with a magnet.