Norway to ban copying CDs to an MP3 player

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Diatribe, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As written on Engadget Norway is about to pass a bill that would prevent copying CDs to anything but a CD. Politics is getting more ridiculous every day. :eek:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good luck to them in enforcing it.

Does this mean iPods will become contraband items in Norway?

The law is an ass...

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

It's a joke, but it's actually a breach of copyright here to rip a CD to ANY other storage system.

How do you enforce that though?

Good luck to them. :rolleyes:

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Tha law that has been setup in Norway is very easy to get away with becasue there has so far been no mesures taken to control this.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The modern world: iPod prohibition! It'll probably work as well as prohibition in the U.S. worked in the 20s. :rolleyes:

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm glad to see the Norwegian government are spending their time tackling the really important issues then! :rolleyes: What a waste of time and, like others have pointed out, how is this law ever going to be enforced?

If MP3 players were to be banned, imagine how cool and subservient the white headphones would be then!

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Back to CD-MANS then in Norway. :p ;) :)

Talk about the government wasting time on unimportant issues, this is going to be a nightmare to even make sure that this restriction is kept in check.

I will give it about 2-6 months to fail if this bill is passed. :p :)

What a joke indeed? :rolleyes:

8. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Haha yea... Good luck with that :rolleyes:

Not only do most people have MP3 players of some sort as opposed to CD players, but how in the world is the government going to enforce this law? Search everyone they see wearing headphones to determine what kind of device they're using?

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

It's not quite accurate. It's not just Norwegian government's idea, this is just Norwegian adaptation to EU's INFOSOC:

Copying and ripping DVD/CDs you (or close family or friends) has obtained legally, will still be allowed, for personal use.

What will become illegal will be to break any copy protection, which makes all DVD copying or ripping "impossible", even if done only to exercice your right to copy the CD/DVD. But you still wil be able to break the protection if you can do it "with one click" or "without any dedicated protection removal programs", so iTunes, which actually was mentioned in a comment, will still be legal to use. Kind of silly.

The leader of FONO (assosiation of Norwegian Record Companies) has already promised that copy protected CDs will dissapear if the law is passed.

Another thing that will become illegal is to downloading copyrighted material from the net (until now uploading/sharing has been illegal, downloading legal). Not that silly.

Software has always had special protection, and even backups of legally purchased software has technically been against the law. Now that's silly.

Bottomline: Lots of good intentions, a couple of clear signs of incompetance, filesharing (to/from strangers) over the internet will be illeagal, while sharing among close friends and relatives will still be allowed. Overall not too silly. ;)

Edit: It was the leader of FONO, not TONO (Norway's Performing Rights Society)... how silly of me... :eek: :p

PS! Haven't read all the 168(!) pages of the bill yet, will report back with anything interesting... if I manage to get through it... ;)

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I don't understand that. Why is it allowed to use iTunes to import? Because it isn't a dedicated protection removal program? That should mean it will also be legal for me to rip a DVD if it is done with one click in an application that can play movies?

11. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

The police in Norway has already said that there is no way to control the this law.

They are saying that they can't regulate all things that are not apriciated by some people in the parlament :eek:

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Probably, but not if the application is deemed to mainly beeing a ripper, designed to circumvent copy protection... hey, I said it didn't make much sense, and opinions are also flying in all directions as the 168(!) pages of the bill is written in a rather difficult legal language...

Latest update is that, you can break protection to play a CD in your car (many car stereos refuse to play protected CDs) but not to make mp3s/aacs to put on your iPod. Playing a CD on a car stereo is considered a natural use, an iPod not... :mad:

Man, I hope some bigshot legal professor with an iPod soon picks this bill apart...

13. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

It seems like your politicians got an awful lot of time on their hands to waste. :D

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Way too much... :D

But seriously, this isn't just Norway. The whole of EU will get similar legislation thanks to EU's new Infosoc directive... :(

Nice comparison (from a Norwegian forum): What's next? That when you buy a Coke you're not allowed to pour the content over in a glass? :D

15. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

One of the political parties youth group actually demonstrated against the law today..

[​IMG]

As others have pointed out, this will be the fact for all of EU. Hopefully copyprotected "CD"s will go away because of this, and after all they are, according to phillips who own the brand "CD", not CDs. So the law really doesn't do anything.

I wish norwegian politicians were braver, tho.. not bowing to USA and EU in these matters.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i too wonder what long term effects that this might have, if the whole EU has this law then there might be some major repercussions, although enforcing such a law will be virtually impossible, and not worth the time or effort....i suppose only time will tell

17. Flyingpig macrumors newbie

By the way, here in Australia, the Ipod or all others MP3 players as well, are illegales.
    Lucky they never enforce the law.

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    thats not gonna happen!! even if it gets passed noone will follow it haha waste of time

19. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Geez, this is a EU directive? And I though it was your government acting all crazy. Oh well I guess this leaves us hopefully with 2 years rest since our politicians debate a little before passing a law :D
    But still, some things the EU passes are just silly, like the standard length of a banana :eek:

20. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

..not to mention the maximum curve of a cucumber..

21. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

yeah, if the standard length has not been reached, it is then considered a "banana mini".

comes btw in 2 colors. green and yellow.

22. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It's more like bowing to the big music labels.

A bit offtopic ... does anyone know if it is possible for artists to sell their music directly on iTunes without going through any labels? If so, do they get the same share of the 99 cents as the labels do?