Norwegian Forum Members

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Has anyone else noticed how many Norwegian forum members we have here... loads!

But relatively few declared Swedish, Danish & Finnish members... curious.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It would be interesting to see how many members we have from each country as a % of members and posts, and then the % of world population. Doctor Q?

Course - how we deal with all those who reckon they're just 'somewhere' or outside the known universe might make life a bit tricker!

3. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

Those bloody Norwegians . . .

A lot of bad weather i Norway this time of year . . . Not much else to do I guess. Waiting for the football season to start and all.

Who would admit to be from Sweden anway . . ? ;)

Edit: Typing . . .

4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

uhuu.... walking on thin ice here, eh - considering where YOU come from ;)

I've noticed just a few other Danes, but it's true - there's quite a lot of norwegians... I guess rumors about rumors spread quickly up in their dark valleys, from one cousin to another... :p

A

5. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

Nothing against Sweeds, especially not the swedish girls . . !

"I knew the ice was gettin' thinner, but I kept skating on!.."
    (D.A.D)

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

My girlfriend's Norwegian (Trondheim), so that sort of adds to the whole Norwegian dominance... :D

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ooooh. Naughty :eek: :D

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, Norway is the odd European country, which will not join EU... so maybe it's something in our mentality to "Think different!" ;)

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you mean like switzerland ? ;)

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Not what I had in mind, but okay. ;) :D

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I've also noticed that. It could be because we haven't really had any stable Norwegian Mac communities on the internet. I think the Swedes have several and the Danes have mediamac at least.

I've just noticed mac1.no, and before that there was an attempt at amac.no, and there's always macforum.no, but that's mostly a user group I think. None of these have been active enough to pull me in, sort of.

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

ABBA? :confused:

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

A*Teens too. :)

I should lay some claim to Norway since my adoptive dad's family apparently came from there. Their family name is basically a town name. I wonder how many people lost their family name to misunderstanding at Ellis Island.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, they are even more different then us (not even being part of UN, and all)... But still, pretty close... :D And there are also quite a lot Swiss people around here...

Of Western European countries, aren't it just Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Iceland and that's not members of EU, or do I forget someone, now...?

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Maybe all Norwegians, in June to celebrate 100 years independence, should use this avatar, or something similar:

Attached Files:

16. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

That would be a problem for me, at least. I've never been able to change my avatar since I first got it after winning an avatar contest in 2002. Still struggling hard for those 500 posts. How silly.

But my general idea about this post was to add to the Norwegian dominance. ;)

17. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well that is good or :confused: well at least I think so :D
    I'm Norwegian but do not live in Norway for the moment tough :eek:

18. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yes that is a good idea :rolleyes:

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

As you can see I haven't excactly changed my avatar, yet (but I see I have to add a smily whenever I'm ironic)... ;)

Come June 7th I don't think I'll participate in any celebrations, either. Last year I actually celebrated May 17th (Norwegeian national day, where large portions of the population attend local parades ("går i tog")), for the first time since my school days, but that was as a part of a Scottish group, bagpipe and all in the May 17th parade in Bergen... :D

20. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Couldn't you at least use this version then - or would that be to unpatriotic? :D

Attached Files:

21. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Well, yes and no - some of those families might have taken that name while still being in Norway. In Danmark at least a lot of people did like that when they moved from the country to the city... before that they would use the name of their father and add -søn or -datter (-son or -daughter), so no real family names - like in Iceland today!

A

22. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Ah, I get it now ... it's supposed to have a bite taken out of it like the apple logo. I didn't get that at first. I think you have to add the apple leaf, too, to make it clear.

Why do we have a lion on there anyway. We should have an Elk, or something! :p

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Interesting.

I know a family named Tolleson, which fits the son/daughter situation. It's fairly common but Tolle is an unusual name to see here.

It makes me wonder about other ways that people differentiated themselves since, obviously, a lot of people with the same name have no direct biological link.

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Woudn't bother me... there actually was a Norwegian music magazine (called Beat) back in the 80's that replaced the axe with a gitar and used that as its logo... haven't found it yet, but that was one of the best logos ever... :D

25. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

No I also think that there won't be a lot of celebration's then it will proberly just be mentioned in a few newspapers and TV and that's it. (VG, NRK)

But 17th of May will be celebrated as every year before :rolleyes: