Norwegians want gay priests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gekko513, Nov 11, 2006.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

http://www.dagsavisen.no/article2406043.ece (Norwegian)

More than 70 percent of adult Norwegians supports ordaining people who are in a gay civil union as priests in the church of Norway.

I must say I'm very positively surprised by this. I'm pretty sure the numbers would have been very different 10 years ago.

What would the numbers for such a survey be in other countries like England and the USA, I wonder?

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Here? Sadly, much less. The pedo priests don't help either, because people tend to link the 2 for some reason.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

For the U.S., probably 85% against, 15% for, if the recent mariage ban amendments in 7 states have any weight.

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

If church and state are to remain separate, then what should this (or any) "voice of the populace" poll matter (other than if the church is seeking to pander to public opinion rather than principle)?

Although - I suppose that it could be part of how the church functions, with major belief statements governed by the will of the general population (but even then I would expect limitation to members...unless all Norwegians are considered members of the state church).

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The Church and the State isn't separated in Norway, yet, we have a state church under (some sort of) governmental control, so public opinion does matter, up to a point at least.

6. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

In 2003, 86% of Norwegian were members of the state church. (Including me, but that's just because I have to go through a lot of bureaucracy to get out.)