Nostromo Array n52 and Intel Duocore iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macrox, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Macrox macrumors newbie

I just got my Intel Duocore iMac and love every aspect of it. Yet, I'm unable to get my Nostromo Array n52 USB device to work properly with it. I've confirmed that OSX 10.4.4 is not the issue, as I've talked with others that are using it with this OS yet with a G5 that don't have any issues. I've contacted Belkin, and they don't have any firm estimates as to when Updated drivers will be available. The computer recognizes the device, yet it won't allow me to assign keys with the software.

I've tried USB Overdrive to no avail. It seems this software is geared more towards mice, even though a Universal Application of this software is available. I've sent an email to USB Overdrive to determine if this product would be supported, yet no reply.

If anyone has any idea on how to assign keys to keypad type USB devices on the new Intel Duocore iMacs, I would be forever in debt. Please, any and all suggestions would be warmly welcomed. I thank you in advance for any advice.

2. justjj macrumors newbie

I have the exact same issue- been bugging Belkin who has been horrible to deal with- different answeres if they even know what I am talking about- all to no avail. I am hoping USB Overdrive will come out with an update if possible or Belkin finally takes the time to update their drivers- if UT 2004 and World of Warcraft were able to have Universal binaries of thier games don, I don't think Belkin has any excuse not to have it done..

3. justjj macrumors newbie

Different response

After 7 emails to Belkin I got a response finally- not a good one- but a response---

"Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support

Belkin does not have any known issues with the new Intel Duo core Mac computers. Please call Belkin tech support at 1-800-223-5546 ext. 2263 so we can trouble shoot your problem."

yeah- no issues they say... whatever..

4. justjj macrumors newbie

5. Nils Nothing macrumors newbie

Belkin today Sept 29th 2006

Hi All,

I have a similar problem. My nostromo is NOT RECOGNIZED but I CAN assign the key bindings in the Nostromo array. Odd that our problems would be so different for the same issue. I have an intel iMac.

Anywho, I called Belkin today. The 3rd question the tech guy asked me was is this an intel mac? So it looks like they are recognizing the problem now at least. He couldn't tell me when they may release a new driver.

n.

6. justjj macrumors newbie

Belkin Sucks

I hear ControllerMate works for doing configs of the n52 on youyr Intel macs! its 19.95 but i can try it free to make sure it works. I tried and after bout 5 min of trying to figure it out- I gave up- but it seemed to recognize it- Im just not too patient....

7. The General macrumors 601

Sorry, this has nothing to do with your problem, but please get the terminology right ... You have an Intel Core Duo processor, it is a dual-core processor. "Duocore" is backwards .... :p

8. Nils Nothing macrumors newbie

controllermate programming 101

Hi Guys,

I bought controllermate over the week-end. It's a little difficult to get you head wrapped around the interface. But once you do, IT WORKS (iMac Intel core duo, 2GB RAM for WoW). I'm still having a little trouble binding the Nostromo n52 mouse wheel but every thing else is a ok. I recommend that you leave controllermate open when running the application you use the Nostromo for. It seems to respond a little faster.

The trial version only allows you to set 10 key bindings (then you get a "not programmable" message for each additional key - or something like that). Basically you can play enough with it to see if it is working for you.

The website: http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

Here's a quick description to help a little:

1 - Using the 'controller' from the dropdown menu in the 'palette' window (option + command + 1), mash a key on the nostromo. You should see an icon highligh. select it so that you see a really long list of key. Continue mashing the same key, you should then see one of the specific keys highligh. Drag that highlighted icon to the main controllermate window 'programming' (the one that looks like graph paper).

2 - Using the 'outputs' from the dropdown menu in the 'palette' window (option + command +2), select what you want the nostromo to do (I exclusively used 'single key'). Drag that icon onto the graph paper right below the icon you created in step 1. The little bubbles should overlap.

3 - Then select what you created in step 2 (icon on graph paper). Then select 'properties' from the dropwon menu in the inspector window (command +1) & open the 'keyboard layout' (command + k) window. Drag the key binding you want from the 'keyboard layout' to the properties "square" AND IT's DONE. Now, when you mash the key you want on the nostromo, you should see the little green on/off bubbles change for both the icons in step 1 & 2. Also, in the output window (command + t), you should see the key binding show up repeatedley.

4 - The tricky part is that the Nostromo has native key bindings assigned for each key. So for example, say you were working on button 12 of the Nostromo and assigned 'x' to it (in step 3), you will have found that the output window was repeatedly displaying "ZxZxZxZxZxZx" in the output window. This is a problem because the game you werer using gets both and creates a conflict... or in my case, makes my character stealth and mount at the same time.

This happens because of the native key binding. The icon you created in setp 1, it says "keyboard z and Z. To get rid of the native bindings, press 'command + option + 1' again to start fresh. Drag and Drop the 'Nostromo speedPad2 - Keyboard' icon to the column below master enable of the controllermate main window. You should then see the entire list of buttons and their native binding. Select All and in the Behavior drop-down menu, select NONE.

5 - The end.

Good luck.

9. justjj macrumors newbie

10. Nils Nothing macrumors newbie

Yay finally Belkin.

But for those of us who have purchased/enjoyed Controllermate, the good news is that version 4.2BETA has fixed the n52 mouse problem. It will be released relatively soon I expect.

n.

11. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502