not a bad setup... for a pc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whyrichard, May 20, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    hows this?

Xi® MTower(tm) 64

AMD® Athlon(tm) 64 X2 4800+ 64Bit Dual Core (DC4000) 2x1024KB Cache HyperTransport(tm)

2048MB DDR 400MHz PC3200 2x1GB Interleave

74GB 10000RPM SATA 150MB/s WD Raptor 8MB Cache <9ms

nVidia® Quadro FX 1400 128MB PCIe 2x DVI Dual Head SLI Capable

DVD+RW/+R-R (writes to CD-RW) 4.7GB w/SW-Media

Linksys WPC54A Wireless G PCI Card (802.11g)

Windows® XP PRO-64 Workstation CD-ROM w/manuals/act.reg.**

Asus® A8N-SLI Dlx. Nvidia® NForce® 4 2xPCIe DDR 400/533 -2x1GbNic+-SATA3Gb RAID 0/1/5 -1394-AC97 7.1

RAIDMode O RAID (IDE or SCSI RAID Ctrl. Required, performance mult drive)

Optional 74GB 10000RPM SATA 150MB/s WD Raptor 8MB Cache <9ms

it'll be for 3d animation and modeling.
    it'll also be my first pc ever.

what do you think?

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Thats extremely powerful, you got a excellent processor and those raptor drives are lightening quick, Just a shame its gotta run windows
  3. billyergs macrumors member

Feb 16, 2005
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Awesome system from the looks of it. As shadowmoses said however, it'll suck having to run Windows on that thing, but what can ya do?

For me, you can have the best hardware in the world, but if you don't have a great OS and great applications to run on it, it's almost a moot point. I measure performance in terms of ease of use, power of available software, productivity, how quickly I can do what I need to do, and how much I enjoy the experience - not on clock cycles, FSB speeds and the like. That's why I love OS X and I love my Mac.

But as I said, excellent system there for a PC! The new AMD chips are amazing... How much for that setup? And what are you doing for a monitor?
  5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002

doing architecture requires a compromise.

i figured the faster the computer, the less time i've got to spend looking at the bloated 'start' button.

(it's not even going to be hooked up to the internet too much)

through the thing's draining my wallet by 33 big bills.

as for monitors... thinking two 19" dells? furthur down the road i'm planning on getting another quadro fx card to let the SLI spread its wings. and maybe a macmini and a kvm switch to use the mac environment when it crashes. :)

6. jfb3 macrumors newbie

May 13, 2005
    If you've got all that horsepower don't skimp on the monitors.

Instead if 2 19"s at 12x10 go ahead and get at least the 20" (16x12). If this box will be used to generate income go ahead and get 24"s (One of them has the real estate of BOTH of the 19" monitors, well almost.).

Nothing makes me more productive than more screen to work with. (Less out-of-task workflow maintenance to break my concentration.)
  7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    It's all very well in theory - come back to us when it's realized! - May take quite a while to make it all play together nicely!
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    So is it that you can't use a Mac, or is it because this thing will rip the panties right off the Mac and have it begging for mercy?? :confused:

Can you install that type of HD in a PowerMac?

And is that video card one of the best in the business? Never heard of it because.....well.......its because I own a frickin Mac and we don't get those. :eek:

And yes, get 2x Dell 20" monitors.
  9. lha72 macrumors member

Jun 23, 2003
    mac killer

Good setup. It will kill a mac if you put linux on it.
  10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Except in terms of security, since Linux is even more of a security hazard than Windows... :cool:
  11. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    wtf type of crack are you smokeing linux is way more secure than windows :rolleyes:
  12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
  13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    I'll assume that by using the rolling eyes, you were being sarcastic, and were implying that obviously Linux is less secure than Windows, which is of course the case. Linux is the least secure OS in the world.

Oh, and it's "smoking".. :p :cool:
  14. colosodian macrumors member

May 1, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I love my raptor on my PC. When you run two in a raid 0, it will be faster than a speeding bullet. Becarefull duing boot / shutdown, ive seen a few raptors fail when a computer loses power during boot.

Becareful on the OS, you selected xp64 professional. That OS is brand new and you may have some issues with some of the hardware you selected.

My suggestion is to get XP Pro, and wait a year or two, than buy the 64bit version. Most of the programs you will use will get 0 benifit from the 64bit OS.
  15. jeffgtr macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
    The Asus motherboard and Athlon Processor is a great combination. This is going to be a killer box. Just make sure you have adequate cooling. I'm not sure about the 64bit processors but the Athlon XP3000 in my pc runs very hot. I think the motherboard your getting will shut down before the processor fries though.
  16. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I think it looks like a sweet setup. Just don't serf the web on that thing and you shouldn't have too many problems with spyware.
  17. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    I was thinking that i wouldn't even hook it up to the internet, but instead wirelessly transfer files from my mac to the pc when i need something on it....

any suggestions? or is this a little paranoid? it seems a pc person needs to be paranoid.

also... any user interface programs or tips that would make a mac persons life easier on a pc?

so the 19"s are 12x10 and the 20" are 16x12...! that's a big difference! what are the demensions of the 21"? i feel that they should market the monitors not with the diagonal distance but the demensions,

12x10 is much smaller then

thanks mac community!

18. colosodian macrumors member

May 1, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Theres no reason for a Windows user to be paranoid. Im a high school student, but I do spyware removal for my pocket cash, its armed robbery. On my machines, I have a 3 program aproach.

Firefox for web browsing, it has many more features than IE, and less holes. Norton Firewall 2003 will block 99% of spyware from getting onto your machine. 2004 and 2005 will do the same things, but require much more rescources. 2003 was the best year ive used. Lavasofts Ad-Aware for spyware removal. I run this twice a month, I ussualy find 0 objects.

What good is a computer that isnt connected to the internet?
  19. jfb3 macrumors newbie

May 13, 2005
    First, get a hardware firewall. They're cheap and they work. Don't rely on software on the box to protect you from an attack. If it gets to the box it can be too late, besides if you ~do~ happen to get the machine infected with something the problem code will more than likely disable any software on the box, it can't do that to a hardware firewall. </rant>

Second set the firewall to to only accept administration from inside, not outside.
  20. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    with osx on a kvm switch of course...

and just ordered:

TWO dell 2001 fp's....
    looking forward to it.

(been spending many $$ that i would have spent on apple had the desktop intel's been out today... architecture programs a necessity)

can anyone let me know, i can't find the info anywhere it seems....

what is the PHYSICAL screen demensions of the 2001 fp's? in inches....

21. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    daaaang dude...that's gonna be niiice!! Wish I had that...would be sweet for 3D and video.

Out of the box/freshly installed perhaps. But the majority of those who run Linux know to, and are able to, patch everything and seal it up tight as a...well, the end result will be far more secure than any Windows machine :p
  22. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    Must Resist.. Norton... Bashing!!! Ahh what the heck. I find Norton to make my computer slow down. I like to use ZoneAlarm and AVG Free Edition. Mainly because I'm a cheap 14 year old. And for my Mac..... Hmmm..... Nothing. :D
  23. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    Linux *can* be more secure.