not able to keep 2Gen iPod in iTunes Source list

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rikers_mailbox, Feb 2, 2005.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2003
    I just got a new 1Gb iPod shuffle (yay!). One of it's great features is that iTunes will keep the shuffle's icon in the Source list even when it is not mounted. This allows me to manage the shuffle's content as if it were a playlist.

Today I was disappointed to realize that there is no such option for my older (and much heavier :)) 2 generation iPod. Am I missing something obvious? I know that I can manage what playlists will sync with the older iPod through Preferences, but that's cumbersome.

Or, I suppose i could just create a devoted playlist (ie. "for the old iPod"), but then I don't get the cool iPod icon all the time. :D

I guess my question is: Why is the shuffle, in this case, any different than the bigger models?
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    It just is. One of the differences is that the iPod Shuffle is just one playlist whereas you can have many playlists on the other iPods.

If you want it as a feaure,suggest it to Apple. If enough people ask for it, they might add it.

Just remember that with the way the iPod Shuffle works, it does make a lot of sense for it to have the playlist you can update before plugging it in.