not able to use external monitor

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by abhishekit, Feb 10, 2004.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

ok I did that firmware change to have multiple monitor support in my ibook.
    Now I connected a monitor (which I earlier used with windows machine) , but nothing is happening. I clicked 'detect monitor' in prefs but its doing nothing. DO i have to do something else.
    thanks

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: not able to use external monitor

well its called *spanning*, not multiple monitor support.

what kind of monitor is it, and are you sure all your adapters and cables are in working condition (especially the mini vga to vga adapter, since you said you used the monitor earlier with a windows machine)? Display prefs should show the monitor.
    Unless you did the temporary one instead of the semi-permanent firmware hack...*shrug*
    works fine on my iBook.

3. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Re: Re: not able to use external monitor

ok..spanning it is :)
    mini vga to vga adaptor is fine, its the first time I am using it..its almost new. I think i did semi-permanent change, writing 7-8 lines of code at firmware.
    The monitor is an ugly 15" CRT monitor, normally seen with windows computers. My roommate hooked up his windows laptop to it and it worked fine.
    Do i have to restart my laptop, after I hook it up?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You shouldn't have to restart it to see the monitor. Can you mirror your laptop screen to the external monitor? That should tell you if your cables are working regardless of the hack. If you can get the same thing to show up on both monitors you probably flubbed the hack. Try to find the code and copy/paste it into the terminal. It's pretty easy to make a typo at the terminal.

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

also, what ibook are you using? it could be that your model is not supported.

i actually just did this hack earlier today and it works fine (though i used this german applescript so i didn't have to screw around with it myself).

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

i thought the spanning hack worked with most recent iBooks?
    I assumed it was relatively new due, especially after he noted that his mini vga to vga adapter was new.
    mactastic> btw this isnt a terminal thing, its an open firmware thing. you cant copy and paste.

Nevertheless, i would have thought a mac-boot or reboot at open firmware would do the trick...zap pram, reset pmu, try again :)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

oh ok, you have to start up in single user mode to do this?

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

no, you have to hold down option+command+o+f at startup (just like you boot up into single user mode).

a light gray screen will appear, with some text (like open firmware version, battery charge, etc.) and a prompt.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... ok, I'm considering doing this soon on my wife's iBook G4. Do you have to re-apply it, say after an OS update or anything?

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

hell no. open firmware is not part of the OS.