Not again!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

For a while there was hope. In the northeast Ohio area, bastion of right-wing cuckoo radio, WTAM, a Clear Channel station, actually deigned to carry Jerry Springer's radio show for a while.

And then they canceled it and replaced it with yet another right-wing nut who yells at people. (And then of course Springer went away altogether.)

A short while later I discovered 1350, Radio Free Ohio out of Akron, which carried Al Franken, Randi Rhodes, Stephanie Miller and others. Sure enough, they dropped Franken's show pretty quick and replaced it with Ed Schultz.

And now the whole damn station is gone, replaced by (oh, boy!) sports talk. As if we don't have two or three of those already.

I'm just looking to vent, because I'm pissed. I really can't afford XM at the moment, and thanks to the corporate mentality and/or plain old religious fanaticism, locally we've got plenty of right-wing talk stations, plus a number of Children of the Corn Bible-thumping stations.

But no radio for progressives.

Argh. :mad:

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Radio is boring. I stopped listening to it a long time ago.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Does it have to be talk radio? You can listen to any number of NPR affiliates on iTunes (assuming you've got the bandwidth).

4. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

If these canceled radio stations were profitable Im sure they would have stuck around. Unfortunately you are living in a very right wing area.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

That's the truth. I'd sure like to know more about the ad revenue differences between all these successful shows like Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly and even the locals carried on those stations and the Air America style shows. When I listened to AR, I never noticed a lack of commercials. Is the amount they pay for the commercials completely based on demonstrated listener numbers or something? Is the disparity so great than a little alternative to the Big Three not even financially viable?

I know other conservatives don't agree with me, but I like to listen a bit to people that I don't necessarily agree with.:)

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I thought that Ohio was a Democratic state?

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Maybe God is trying to tell you something. :D

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Pack your bags and get out of Ohio. Leave that state and never look back. I did, it was the best move of my life. Seriously, why do you think all the college grads and talent flee that place in droves? The population is going to dwindle down to nothing but bible-banging wackos eventually. Stop beating your head against the wall.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Come on. We don't whack people with bibles anymore. Pressing a crucifix against their foreheads until the demons leave their bodies works much better. Don't you watch Angel? To deal with the hardcore people that won't leave their apartments we sprinkle their front door with holy water.:rolleyes:

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's not too far from the truth. I lived in Ohio for 25 years- not an "open-minded" place by any stretch of the imagination.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Thankfully I get NPR from WUNC radio locally. Beyond that, it's a smorgasbord of strange bible radio (one actually had an advert claiming that problems receiving their station on the radio was the WORK OF THE DEVIL, in order to extort money from people), and fascism (Michael Savage?).

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Wrong however. Dennis Kucinich is the coolest man from that place. So Ohio ain't too bad is it now eh boys?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm from there, so is Marilyn Manson. What's your point? :) And neither of us live there anymore.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if lee's wrong, i assume you're ready to demonstrate how open-minded ohio is about kucinich? or marilyn manson?

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

The point is that Ohio sucks less because of Kucinich that's all.
    Of course, I wouldn't live there because there isn't an Apple store. That's the main reason.

16. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Maybe you and Marilyn and the rest of the more progressive expats should move back and swing the state securely into the blue column. Just make sure you play this song on your arrival.

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Apple can't justify putting a store in either Cleveland or Cinnci? :eek:

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

No kidding, that's why Ohio isn't the place to be if you are a Mac user.

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Now wait a minute, you're wrong there. There's three, in Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati. (The Cleveland one is in a very ritzy burb far from most of us normal mortals, however.)

20. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Ooops, my bad. I guess that those stores must be recent ones eh? :cool:

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope- the Apple Store in Columbus actually opened around the same time as the one on Michigan Ave here in Chicago. ;)

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Headslaps himself! :eek: :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- my brother lives there. I was at that store when the iMac G4s were out- it's been that long. :)

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Wow! I was going to say, leaving the entire state of Ohio without a Mac store didn't make sense to me at all.

25. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The state of Ohio without Democrats running the store doesn't make sense to me at all. ;)

Anyway. I do like to listen to talk radio while driving around. I find it a lot more mentally stimulating than music, or even sports talk. I've tried NPR, but like others I find it quite tedious at times.

And speaking of Bible-banging, I got "treated" to some mind-numbing stuff at the studio today. We've got this holy roller who does a weekly show, and he brought in a guest that was straight from Arkham Asylum (the right wing ;) ). This guy was some pastor who railed against everybody: Ted Kennedy, Hillary, the NEA, the EPA, gays, Greenpeace ("green on the outside, red on the inside")...and everyone who didn't agree with him was a Communist bent on taking over the United States who was gonna be made to rot in Hell when he faces the Lord on judgment day.

My co-worker and I, both liberals, both felt like our heads were gonna explode listening to this insane drivel for two hours. It was all we could do to keep from calling the guy a ****ing nutcase and kicking him out of the studio.

Jesus H. Christ. And you wonder why I need some liberal talk? :rolleyes: