Not All Americans are Stupid ... This is a quiz

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Link

It's a pretty good quiz and not meant to be anything other than a lighthearted poke at stereotypes.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Is it really? According to the test, my knowledge is "pretty good for an American," but average for a "school age child" from another country. But checking the statistics, I answered more questions correctly then the average from other countries and the correct answer score for "America" is only a fraction lower then the rest of the world... why do I think they were hoping for worse?

3. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, I scored 16 and the comments were like, "you must feel isolated and haven't yet gotten the guts to emigrate"

Reading the comments section on the main page is interesting to say the least. A bunch of Americans spouting off about what the world owes the US, etc, etc.

Maybe it's not so lighthearted but funny nonetheless.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Also, according to the comments, the results are different depending on whether you represent yourself as being from the US or elsewhere. It isn't clear to me what kind of point is being made here.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I took the test twice, once as an american once as not, and I made sure to score the same both times. As an american I got a left handed compliment, as a non-american I got praised.

Lethal

6. pdham macrumors member

I have an impressive knowledge for an American :)

Yea... clearly want to make Americans look stupid... the funny thing is that these days you dont need a quiz... just look at our president. :)

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i really did think sydney was the capital of australia...

8. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hahaha! I scored 20 out 20 and this is the message that came up:

If you are American, the only way you got this score is by doing the quiz 50 times, and memorizing the correct answers. You need to approach the world in a less aggressively competitive way and learn to live with your inadequacies, rather than seeking to feel through bigotry and false national pride.

I got it on my first try, so I don't mind so much... ;)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yeah, that's nice work -- for an idiot.

Nationalism sucks, no matter where it comes from.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There were a couple questions in there that were not that easy. I'd never heard of Parkinson's Law. And the inventor or television was a Scotsman - got that, but its a tricky one.

Took me a couple tries to get 20 out of 20.

D

11. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Nationalism is not pretty and stereotypes are even less so. However, "Stupid White Men" has sold more copies in Germany than in the US and Michael Moore has quite a following throughout Europe. Then there's Andreas von Bülow a former government minister who wrote the bestselling "Die CIA und der 11. September. Some 30% of Germans under the age of 31 believe it to be true. The book basically states that the CIA was behind 9/11.

Now we could all gang up on the Germans for being stupid, gullible, conspiracists or we could ask why they believe what they do. Personally, I think it is the lack of believable information from the US government and the incredible secrecy that continues to surround the events of 9/11. Not only that but there are so few Americans truly questioning the current US government that people like Moore and Bülow rise to the top by virtue of the vaccum that exists in the media. Until Americans are willing to stand up and demand that their government be responsive and open, the world will continue to view the US through things like this quiz.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

At least it's only 30% of those under 30. A huge percentage of Americans of all ages still think Saddam was directly involved in 9/11. And of course the WH does not go out of its way to correct that impression until they get called on it.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nice one

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I guess the questions must rotate -- I didn't get the Parkinson's Law question. ("Work expands to fill the time available for its completion" --J. Northcoate Parkinson). I may have Parkinson's book on my shelf, but it is over 40 years old now, and not exactly a cornerstone of literature.

As for who "invented" television, that isn't exactly settled. The person who probably deserves the most credit (and rarely gets it) is Philo Farnsworth, an American. His patents were essentially stolen by David Sarnoff at RCA, and he saw almost nothing for his work.

15. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

D'oh! You beat me to it! Just don't repeat that in front of any Scots unless you're ready for a fist fight.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Not All Americans are Stupid ... This is a quiz

Maybe.

... but for some reason they delight in polls, quizes, gossip, and afternoon talkshows.

17. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I'm confused as to what the point is. The message I'm getting is that Americans are expected to be smarter then everyone else.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Hmm. The page doesn't show up on my iBook -- Safari nor Explorer.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Flash player not installed?

It's always interesting to see how much people know.

I got 15 and 16 in two tries.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ah, i didn't know there were more questions. with the help of a couple of repeats (NOT "sydney" :), i got a 19 my second try.

they got me on this conclusion:
    edit:

found an error in the test. they ask in what country is the world's tallest building. one of the answers is 'kuala lumpur,' a city.

i picked it, i was told i was wrong. anyone know the 'right' answer?

edit 2:

and look what i just found on this foxnews.com story
    now africa is a country?

21. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Geez... what a bunch of bullfeces!!!

Lets see...
    www.netcartoon.net resolves to 81.3.64.11. DNS for that says its phobos.simply.net
    whois for 81.3.64.11 says belongs to a UK based company called Simply Internet LTD. So, this company is prolly just a ISP for netcartoon.

Netcartoon comes with a contact phone number of 01865 761464.

I'm not as well versed in country codes and phone numbers so this will take me some time, but if I had to guess, netcartoon is prolly UK based.

Is that information good enough to figure out where this malarky is coming from? Is that smart enough for ya, you ungrateful Brit? After we saved your heinies in WW2? Maybe us Yankees ought to have protested when you went ahead and fought a war in the Falklands?!!! ;)

22. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Taiwan is the correct answer.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ahhhh... i thought those twin towers in malaysia still officially had it. didn't know about the one in taiwan. thanks.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is interesting - specifically did 0 out of 20 as a non-American and got this response.

As an American getting 0 right

:rolleyes:

D

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Taipei 101

Attached Files: