Not All iTunes available to all

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cadreamer, Mar 11, 2005.

1. cadreamer macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm here because I'm frustrated a bit with iTunes availability of songs. I don't have a favorite genre, I listen to just about everything. I'm on the U.S. iTunes store and when I first bought my iTunes, I did either song or artist searches and could not find a few artists on the U.S. iTunes. I figured their stuff wasn't available for any type of download and left it at that. However last week for grins and giggles I went to the French iTunes looking for some electronic/dance music and typed in the name of the artists I could not find on the U.S. iTunes. Their music showed up (duh! it was Daft Punk) and they had a top ten song that same week on the French iTunes. There were a couple of other electronic/dance artists on the French iTunes, that were no where to be found on the U.S. I have left two messages with iTunes asking why it doesn't make all music available for purchase.

To add insult to injury, I did a vast artist search (my words maybe not vast enough for some of you) from country to hip/hip R&B, New Orleans jazz and even reggaeton. I found songs on the French iTunes for each (they were lacking in Amerie tunes), there was even a reggaeton song I had asked iTunes to make available (a billboard #1song on the Latin charts for the last 6 weeks) that was on the French iTunes, but again, no where to be found on the U.S. site. Most of the songs I found on the French site were also available on the U.K. site.

What gives? Has Apple done its research and come to the conclusion there are too few Americans with a wide music palate, so why waste time making as much music available to them (us)?

Please let me hear a logical answer as to why I can't buy any Daft Punk, Cassisus or Daddy Yankee's new hit on the U.S. iTunes but I could if I were French or from the U.K.?
  2. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    Nothing to do with Apple... it is all about the record companies and copyrights. Apple does not control what is offered and what is not. It is possible that some of the listings are imports and maybe subject to different policies or that the record company had just not gotten around to publishing it on the US iTMS.
  3. cadreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2005

I posted a message on the iTunes site prior to my original post here. This morning was my first chance to get back on iTunes so for fun I checked for Daddy Yankee and Daft Punk and voila' guess what's now on the U.S. side? The album with the Daddy Yankee single (now a top iTunes download for this artist--the song has been number one for over a month on the latin billboard charts--and I told them that last month) and Daft Punk's two earlier albums but not their latest single (I wouldn't hold my breath for the free medly).

so I ask again, who is minding the iTunes store? If apple can't make certain music available that's one thing, but to have music that could be available to all and decide for me or others (the people willing to pay for it) that we don't need access to it, is bad business. :mad: :(
    Gee, they couldn't hire staff that had an interest in music and some with the ability to do some of the technical stuff to make sure it's available for sale (i.e. revenue?)

I shouldn't have to hunt on the other country iTunes then nag for the music to be available on mine. I've already purchased on CD what little bit they finally made available. So I nag somemore for Cassisus, music from the individuals who make up Cassisus and the latest Daft Punk.....

I suppose iTunes gets an atta boy for responsiveness, it only takes two iTunes messages to get the songs you want to buy made available.

Can I have two iTunes logins, one for U.S. and another for the U.K. or France? and use the same credit card? :confused:
  4. Raid macrumors 68020

Feb 18, 2003
    Really???? Where did you post? I've been wanting a bigger Henry Rollins/ Black Flag/Rollins Band presence in the Canadian iTMS for some time now (not to mention big-yet-strangley-missing-bands such as Led Zeppelin). It could be that your posting and thier offering were a coincidence... but if it worked for you it might work for me. :)
  5. cadreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2005
    Under Help - Provide iTunes Feedback. It will open your internet browser (if not already open) and you fill in the information and leave your comment or desperate request.

Again, you gotta do it twice (leave your comment or request), check to see if it's available on another country's iTunes and if so ask them again and tell them its avaliable other places in iTunes.

BTW, I checked on the Daft Punk albums posted, no one downloaded their music when I wrote last, now it's being downloaded too, like Daddy Yankee.

I don't have a Led issue yet (although their official web site allows you to hear just one song from one of their live albums), I found a compliation CD marked way down when a discount store went out of business a few years ago. Got the first half, not yet jonesin' for the second half of their years of music.

Maybe the first time apple asked for Led Zeppelin, the answer was no, however if they (whoever they is) are making some of their music available to listen to (and sending you to the big book buying web sites to purchase CD's) on the web maybe they are now open to providing it for individual purchase and download. :)
  6. chelseasian macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2004
    New York, NY (Chelsea)
    I am experiencing the same frustrations. I love this French chanteuse Patricia Kaas, which the US store has about 5 songs available- I went to the French store and they have tons of her work available. I am wondering if there is anyway to work around it in getting a track off the French iTunes store? I do not mind paying the Euro for it.
  7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    my understanding is that you will NOT be able to use the same credit card at different countrys' iTunes stores... because the credit card has to have been issued in the country in question. So, if you have a credit card issued by a French bank, you can buy them, otherwise no.

At least, that's what I've heard.
  8. cadreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2005

Update. When I left town on Friday, Daddy Yankee was available, a remix of his number one single a number one download for him on iTunes. When I got home tonight (I'm having a iTunes conversation with my sister), no Daddy Yankee- Gasolina (remix), not on the U.S. iTunes, not on the French iTunes, the compliation album it was on is gone on all iTunes. :confused: So those of us lucky enough to purchase it (I'd already bought the CD, but did buy the remix single), have it, it's gone from iTunes.

They did offer more Daft Punk! new album on U.S., U.K. and French iTunes. don't see any vintage Cassius or Led Zeppelin yet. :D