Not American? You can still influence the U.S. Election!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Toe, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Interesting concept. I would hope that we in the States would be given the chance to explain our views across the Big Pond to undecided voters.

I do wish that we had more people like what I have seen on this forum that reads the overseas press, even by the internet. All most hear is the 5 to 15 seconds given to a rally of a half million Brits against our President and his war in Iraq. Nothing is given to the feelings behind that.

We as a nation need to hear more from our world neighbors about the increased fear of terrorist attacks overseas. All because of the support that their government has given the US.

Terrorist attacks in the US have been rare, when compared to the rest of the world. It was only after 3000 deaths in one day, that we woke up to what others have known and felt for so much longer.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

looking into online newspapers ... 0€

seeing bigger headlines about the new 2004/05 clothing collection from our skiing team than about the US election: priceless

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/15/news/poll.html

If only it wasn't up to the Americans...

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

7. toontra macrumors 6502

HERE are a few responses people have had to their letters. Warning - doesn't make pretty reading!

8. katchow macrumors 6502

wow. Clark County, that's my home town. I grew up in a little place called Enon (JFK once pointed out that it spelled None backwards). Spent most of my time (at least as a teenager) in Yellow Springs, some of you may be familiar with Antioch College (i don't think its any secret who they will vote for)...

9. brap macrumors 68000

Though does give an interesting insight into the mentality of Joe Schmoe(TM) voter. 1812 indeed! Why on earth would they want to volunteer their email address if they only wanted to shout about how stupid the whole idea was?

10. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

I guess a lot of Americans forget that it was Churchill alone who stood up to Hitler, while American businesses were actively pursuing relationships with the Nazis....

I also find it strange that a lot of Americans would think that the Guardian is meddling in our elections by simply asking people to write letters. What the heck is wrong with that? How does that compare to the enormous sums of cash flowing into our electoral process from international corporations?

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It appears that those who are not happy about this are the ones who have already made up their minds to vote for Bush. Kerry supporters seem pleasant although some may think it will backfire. I think that anyone who is truly undecided may be influenced by the letters.

How badly do you have to **** up foreign relations before people in other countries start writing you to vote for the other guy?

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not to mention that "kicking our asses out" would have been an awful lot harder without the French.

It's amazing how intolerant the writers are of political interference from abroad, considering.

13. toontra macrumors 6502

What surprised me most in several of these replies was the degree of outright racism and xenophobia (always the domain of the pig-ignorant, IMO). I mean, yellow teeth, tea sipping!!. And those were the polite ones!

I think one starts to get an insight into the Republican's power base all tooo clearly!

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's too late to shut the gates: the barbarians are already inside!

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

While they eat their Freedom Fries with anything but Heinz Catsup.

16. katchow macrumors 6502

here's another side of the same coin....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/10/18/putin.iraq/index.html

Headline: Putin urges voters to back Bush

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says terrorist attacks in Iraq are aimed at preventing the re-election of U.S. President George W. Bush and that a Bush defeat "could lead to the spread of terrorism to other parts of the world."

I'm Dick Cheney and i approve this message...

You mean invading Iraq didn't bring the terrorists to Bush's side? Shocking...

Let me gets this straight, he opposes the war in iraq, and points out that its resulted in increasingly organized terrorists attacks but Bush bears no responsibilty for any of it, in fact, we should re-elect him and accept his blunders just so we can rub the terrorists noses in it. I think he has a very misguided understanding of the system, the opposing candidate to bush does not mean "pro-terror" regardless of how terror groups veiw it. Which again leads me back to the sentiment, WTF does this guy have to do to lose this election (short of slapping your grandmother)?

i'm having a hard time understanding Putin's postition...it looks like he did stop short of suggesting Bush remove elements of our democracy to maintain his power (wait a minute, what am i saying?)

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Putin knows that if Bush is re-elected that he has a better chance at US help with his terrorist problems. It also adds validity to his own actions in Chetna. Politics makes for strange bedfellows. Look at Hitler and Mussolini.

18. katchow macrumors 6502

so i guess if kerry is elected they'll just drop their arms and go back home?

i know he's not as simple-minded as this, but he'd sure like us to believe it.

19. andym172 macrumors 6502

Oh man, I'm literally crying with laughter at some of the replies to The Guardian's letters (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1329858,00.html).

Pure comic genius some of them :D My favourite being:

"Have you not noticed that Americans don't give two ***** what Europeans think of us? Each email someone gets from some arrogant Brit telling us why to NOT vote for George Bush is going to backfire, you stupid, yellow-toothed pansies... I don't give a rat's ass if our election is going to have an effect on your worthless little life. I really don't. If you want to have a meaningful election in your crappy little island full of ****** food and yellow teeth, then maybe you should try not to sell your sovereignty out to Brussels and Berlin, dipshit. Oh, yeah - and brush your goddamned teeth, you filthy animals.
    Wading River, NY"

Only a few days ago I was asking myself why the US is currently so hated, even by us Brit's who are 'supposed' to be their closest alai.
    As a kid I loved the US. In my early teens I admired the US. Now, in my early 20's I can't help but laugh at the US :(

So, what's changed? I concluded that a lot of the badness thought of America was due to with Dubya. A month or so ago I was watching an interview with Bill Clinton (think it was with Larry King), instead of waiting for the next gaff (a-la-Dubya) I was honestly interested in what he had to say - he came across as a (relatively) honest man (don't mention good old Monica ;)) who had more than a single brain cell. His arguments and statements were well reasoned and appeared to be well researched.
    This is the total contrary to what Dubya offers. The mere sight of him brings a smirk to my face as I know that his next hiccup (and that's being kind...) is only round the corner. Even now I can't quite believe he's one of the most powerful men on the face of the earth, all I can presume is that he's a mere puppet for the real power men in the US.

If I were a US citizen I'd have a hard time choosing between Bush and Kerry as neither man inspires me with confidence. In the end though I'd have to go for Kerry, if only to put Bush out of his misery...

I honestly hope somebody comes along soon to give some dignity back to the US and to once again give the rest of the world another country to admire, because currently, and extremely sadly, the US is the laughing stock to the rest of the world :( :( :(

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It really becomes an issue of whom you can trust. For many (myself included) that Bush and Company are only interested in what can benefit themselves.

Yet or many the actions of Bush & company seem to benefit the "base" as Bush as described. Only history will will tell. Not the history from from the Reagan era that prevented charges of subversion the government. Reagan was protected by many from many charges IMO. Yet Reagan and his administration were guilty of criminal charges. We saw the Republicans try to rewrite history from Clinton's 8 years.

I only hope that the Republicans call for Bush's impeachment if the draft is re-instated. Or that that Social Security is made a "privatization" issue.

Bush in 2000 promised us that he was the "compassionate conservative", that he was a "uniter, not a divider". . That he stood for less government for all. It has been nothing such.

Compassion means only for those that are rich. Uniter means only if you support separation of equal rights based on what the RNC supports.

The Bush administration seems to be more in step with the Nazi's. As long as there is a profit to be had, everything is OK. As long as the "populace" believes, then everything is OK. Paint certain "people" as the evil one and life is good.

Why-else should Ms. Cheney look upon "honesty" in history to be such a threat? Why should she look upon the "honesty"of US actions of being such a threat?

Is it that our actions against the Native Americans was wrong? Was it wrong to inter Japanese-Americans during WWII? Was it right to prohibit the Bill of Rights to a select few.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've heard that thanks to our efforts in Iraq, Al Qaida is able to recruit more than we can kill (Karl Rove said that actually). We did do exactly what Bin Laden said we would, and he still runs free. I'm starting to think the terrorist would prefer a Bush administration, and Bush would rather us think with a Kerry Presidency, we will be at the mercy of what other nations say and open to more terrorism. Better to attack the wrong country and piss off our allies than simply defend ourselves and listen to reports like "Bin Laden Determined to Attack the US" I guess.

So do half of us. The other half doesn't care what you think unfortunetly (as you've seen). It really is sad, and you'd think we'd know better.

That's what happens when you have an administration that fosters hate against anyone who opposes them. Especially after they are proved to be so wrong, so many times. Those who disagree with you will hate you back. Kinda what started this whole mess in the first place.

22. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

And the Bush campaign is using this rhetoric of hate in his stump speeches and now in his ads too.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=93435